Moving Tractor Long Distance

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #11  
You might check craigslist Maine & NH, and even MA, used tractors go pretty quick. Something to consider either buying or selling (maybe it's worth the effort to move yours) and compare that to what you could sell it for there in Canada. But money is a lot easier to move than a tractor.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #12  
I've watched a show on TV called "Shipping Wars". All the bozos featured on that show get their loads via U-Ship, and I wouldn't let any of those idiots within 100 yards of any possessions of mine.

Have watched it too. Those people seem like they don't have a clue what they are doing!!!!

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #13  
My son used Uship to ship an atv from Utah to Florida. It was only around $200 and worked perfectly. On the other hand your tractor is probably worth more in Canada than in US. You could sell it, put the money in a bag and buy a smaller one when you get to Maine and have enough left over for some attachments maybe.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #14  
Unless your new acreage is ridiculously small for an MX5100, I would keep it, since you know it, like it, and trust it, and focus on getting it moved. It can be relatively expensive plus some risk to sell and buy too, especially when you are under time constraints and have a million other things going on.

I used to live in Wells, the next town south of Kennebunk. It's a nice area. Can be a bit of a zoo in summer, but pretty quiet otherwise. Welcome to Maine.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #15  
Also try freightcenter.com, I had good luck with them shipping an implement for me. I believe it may be similar to us hip, I'm not sure. I wouldn't put too much weight into those tv shows.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #17  
I've watched a show on TV called "Shipping Wars". All the bozos featured on that show get their loads via U-Ship, and I wouldn't let any of those idiots within 100 yards of any possessions of mine.

Don't mistake "Reality" TV for real life...

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #18  
Don't mistake "Reality" TV for real life...

There have been a couple threads regarding tractor shipments, I started one, and there are a couple others IIRC. Not many people reported any sort of problems in real life. The overwhelming response was "no issues."

Edit: Agreeing with Roy, meaning real life experiences here on TBN have been positive.

Last edited:
   / Moving Tractor Long Distance #19  
We rented the biggest tandem trailer U-Haul had when we came down from Alaska. As I remember we did pay something extra because our use would relocate their trailer. At that time we had no problems passing thru Canada.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #20  
Kyle,

Just as a reality check, that trip is about 985 miles each way. I haul tractors and other equipment around the US in conjunction with my work as a Sports Lighting Contractor. My longest trip to date was from my home in Texas to Vermont and back about 2000 miles each way. I use a D3500 Dodge one ton and a 22' utility gooseneck with ramps. I can load 10,000lb on the trailer and be legal. I roll the cost of transporting my equipment to the jobsite and back into my bids. Currently I use $1.20 per loaded mile. Because I am transporting my equipment there and back, this works for me. If I had to deadhead back as in your case (assuming you are hiring a truck trailer and driver) I would have to get $1.00 per mile for the unloaded miles. I would also have to include any toll fees and fees to cross the Border twice and a couple of nights lodging/meals.

Personally, I think your best bet is to rent a Uhaul, Ryder or Penske truck, put your tractor (it only weighs about 4000lbs) and anything else you can carry in it. Then rent a car dolly, hook it to the truck and tow the pick-up. You can load stuff in the bed and cab of the pick-up. Watch your weight!!!

I doubt you could sell your tractor for enough to buy another in Maine so unless you just want a new tractor, I would keep it and transport it.

Whether you move it yourself or you hire someone to move it for you, you can buy an insurance policy to cover damages or total loss to the tractor for a very reasonable price. Check out

Freight Insurance and Cargo Insurance-Save money and time with Ramon International

If I lived in the area, I would do it on the cheap for you just for the drive in a beautiful part of the country.

Let us know which route you take and if you don't mind sharing how about how much it cost you.

Best of luck

Tim