Moving Tractor Long Distance

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
We have plans to move from Ontario to Maine in the coming months and I have a dilemma. I love my tractor (Kubota MX5100) and would like to bring it along to our new place even though we will not have as much acreage. Unfortunately my Nissan Frontier is not up to the task of hauling it. My questions are:

1) Has anyone moved a tractor via third party long distance? Approx. cost if you are willing to share?

2) Has anyone moved a tractor across the border, Canada to US?

3) Does it make sense to bring the tractor? Perhaps I should sell it and just buy another when I am move to Maine? Perhaps even a smaller model due to less acreage.

Tks.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #2  
Buddy of mine bought a kubota L4310 from upstate NY and had it shipped to him here in northern WV for about $600-$700. Easier and cheaper than makin the trip ourselves... and we even have trucks and trailer capible of the haul.

Crossing the border shouldn't present a problem with the proper suporting paperwork.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #3  
There's a website: uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves to review. Uship is a broker, not a shipping company...be advised of that.
I looked into getting my tractor shipped. I got a number of bids...some quite reasonable.
Do ensure the trucker is insured and has a track record of shipping equipment. I was leery of using an independent, but I did find one company (one or two drivers) that could haul my 4400 and RFM on a rollback.

It turned out the company that moved all of our possession could haul the tractor, RFM and chipper in their straight body van...and that's how we did it...

Added: uShip can probably complete any documentation you'd need to bring the tractor into the US.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #4  
what about renting a truck -- like a uhaul -- move your stuff and pull the tractor

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #5  
If Uhaul doesn't have anything heavy duty enough, check with Budget Truck Rentals

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance
Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately my experience with rental companies in the past is they did not like their vehicles crossing the border. Likely due to the fact that whether it be Budget or U-Haul, it's a different franchisee owner? Not really sure but I'll check again to be sure.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #7  
What part of Maine are you headed to.??? Are you going to be my new next door neighbor ????

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance
What part of Maine are you headed to.??? Are you going to be my new next door neighbor ????

Kennebunk. A little down the coast from you.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #9  
Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately my experience with rental companies in the past is they did not like their vehicles crossing the border. Likely due to the fact that whether it be Budget or U-Haul, it's a different franchisee owner? Not really sure but I'll check again to be sure.

Guys that run the lots don't like signing them out to cross state lines because they like having equipment on their lot. Once it goes to another lot, they're stuck waiting on something else to show up to replace it and lose any walk in business. Call the national reservation line for the various companies to compare rates and make your reservation through them a couple weeks in advance, even if the local lot doesn't have what is needed, they'll send whatever it is to the local lot given enough time.

/ Moving Tractor Long Distance #10  
There's a website: uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves to review. Uship is a broker, not a shipping company...be advised of that.
I looked into getting my tractor shipped. I got a number of bids...some quite reasonable.
Do ensure the trucker is insured and has a track record of shipping equipment. I was leery of using an independent, but I did find one company (one or two drivers) that could haul my 4400 and RFM on a rollback.

It turned out the company that moved all of our possession could haul the tractor, RFM and chipper in their straight body van...and that's how we did it...

Added: uShip can probably complete any documentation you'd need to bring the tractor into the US.

I've watched a show on TV called "Shipping Wars". All the bozos featured on that show get their loads via U-Ship, and I wouldn't let any of those idiots within 100 yards of any possessions of mine.