Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Default Moving Tractor Long Distance

We have plans to move from Ontario to Maine in the coming months and I have a dilemma. I love my tractor (kubota MX5100) and would like to bring it along to our new place even though we will not have as much acreage. Unfortunately my Nissan Frontier is not up to the task of hauling it. My questions are:

1) Has anyone moved a tractor via third party long distance? Approx. cost if you are willing to share?

2) Has anyone moved a tractor across the border, Canada to US?

3) Does it make sense to bring the tractor? Perhaps I should sell it and just buy another when I am move to Maine? Perhaps even a smaller model due to less acreage.

Tks.
    2011 Kubota MX5100, BH92, BH BB72, Walco Bush Hog and Snowblower, Wallenstein 310 Splitter & Forks

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2013 JD 3005 1974 MF135

Default Re: Moving Tractor Long Distance

Buddy of mine bought a kubota L4310 from upstate NY and had it shipped to him here in northern WV for about $600-$700. Easier and cheaper than makin the trip ourselves... and we even have trucks and trailer capible of the haul.

Crossing the border shouldn't present a problem with the proper suporting paperwork.
    Greg AKA DieselCrawler
    2013 JD 3005 4x4 w/loader
    1974 MF135 diesel (dad's)
    Trucks:
    1999 F250 4x4 7.3L diesel 6sp daily driver
    2000 F350 4x4, 7.3L diesel, auto, work truck
    2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3L diesel, wife's ride
    84 Chevy K-30 turbo diesel farm truck, play truck, one ton running gear, locked up, on 39.5" boggers,
    Redheaded wife, 6 kids, 7 rabbits, 4 horses/ponies, 4 cats, 3 dogs, 2 pigs

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

There's a website: uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves to review. Uship is a broker, not a shipping company...be advised of that.
    I looked into getting my tractor shipped. I got a number of bids...some quite reasonable.
    Do ensure the trucker is insured and has a track record of shipping equipment. I was leery of using an independent, but I did find one company (one or two drivers) that could haul my 4400 and RFM on a rollback.

It turned out the company that moved all of our possession could haul the tractor, RFM and chipper in their straight body van...and that's how we did it...

Added: uShip can probably complete any documentation you'd need to bring the tractor into the US.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    NH TC45

what about renting a truck -- like a uhaul -- move your stuff and pull the tractor
    Mike

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

If Uhaul doesn't have anything heavy duty enough, check with Budget truck Rentals

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately my experience with rental companies in the past is they did not like their vehicles crossing the border. Likely due to the fact that whether it be Budget or U-Haul, it's a different franchisee owner? Not really sure but I'll check again to be sure.
    2011 Kubota MX5100, BH92, BH BB72, Walco Bush Hog and Snowblower, Wallenstein 310 Splitter & Forks

hr3
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    7610 hst

What part of Maine are you headed to.??? Are you going to be my new next door neighbor ????

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by hr3 View Post
    What part of Maine are you headed to.??? Are you going to be my new next door neighbor ????
    Kennebunk. A little down the coast from you.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle241 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately my experience with rental companies in the past is they did not like their vehicles crossing the border. Likely due to the fact that whether it be Budget or U-Haul, it's a different franchisee owner? Not really sure but I'll check again to be sure.
    Guys that run the lots don't like signing them out to cross state lines because they like having equipment on their lot. Once it goes to another lot, they're stuck waiting on something else to show up to replace it and lose any walk in business. Call the national reservation line for the various companies to compare rates and make your reservation through them a couple weeks in advance, even if the local lot doesn't have what is needed, they'll send whatever it is to the local lot given enough time.

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST Cab, Kubota BX23TLB

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    There's a website: uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves to review. Uship is a broker, not a shipping company...be advised of that.
    I looked into getting my tractor shipped. I got a number of bids...some quite reasonable.
    Do ensure the trucker is insured and has a track record of shipping equipment. I was leery of using an independent, but I did find one company (one or two drivers) that could haul my 4400 and RFM on a rollback.

It turned out the company that moved all of our possession could haul the tractor, RFM and chipper in their straight body van...and that's how we did it...

Added: uShip can probably complete any documentation you'd need to bring the tractor into the US.
    I've watched a show on TV called "Shipping Wars". All the bozos featured on that show get their loads via U-Ship, and I wouldn't let any of those idiots within 100 yards of any possessions of mine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast