John Deere 1030 Drawbar

/ John Deere 1030 Drawbar #1  

Spenco19

Tractor
John Deere 1030
Possibly a silly question. The drawbar in this picture would seems to be the wrong way up, it that correct and can it be used either way? I have seen another JD setup in the same way hence the question. I assume that it was turned this way to give the trailer slightly more ground clearance. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 507
   / John Deere 1030 Drawbar #2  
It shouldn't matter which way.

/ John Deere 1030 Drawbar #3  
That twisted bottom bar- heat it in a forge, or use a large torch and hammer it straight. Have the top bar take the weight in your set up- the twisted bottom bar is just to give you 2 plates to pass the pin through. It is thin because the thicker one is the load bearing one.
Good luck.

/ John Deere 1030 Drawbar #4  
Tcreeley is correct. The smaller daughter bar is bolted to the larger parent bar which would put you at risk of the bolts coming loose. You want the downward tongue load on the thicker parent bar.

/ John Deere 1030 Drawbar
Many thanks for the information and confirming my thoughts, appreciated.

Will give a go at straightening the "daughter" bar - thanks for the advice.

/ John Deere 1030 Drawbar #6  
The others are correct. The twisted part known as a "hammer strap" is designed for the drawbar pin to go through both the hammer strap & the drawbar. The towed implement will have an "eye type" hitch similar to a pintle hitch. It's correct to turn the offset drawbar up or down depending on height of drawbar required.

Attachments

• RWP3979________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP3979________UN01JAN94.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 114
  • NP1249_________UN02JAN94.gif
    NP1249_________UN02JAN94.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 84