Mowing How do you mow rough ground quickly?

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #31  
How do you drink your beer that way?

Here is one way. Larro

172-06601P1.jpg

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #34  
I have a drag that pull behind mower to help keep the pastures smooth.IMG-20130314-00197.jpg

Last edited:
   / How do you mow rough ground quickly? #35  
Here is my :2cents:.

Four wheel independent suspension, four wheel steer and four wheel drive.
PC190001.JPG PC190002.JPG PC190003.JPG PC190005.JPG

Don't worry about side hills!
P4010055.JPG P4120004.JPG P9250008.JPG
Anything steep enough to roll it, I would be too puckered to drive on! :laughing:

Out front 7' brush hog, easy to see what you are cutting.
P8070005.JPG P4010069.JPG

For grass and small brush, use the 90" Finish Mower out front. Mower Attachment - Bobcat Company
IMAG1773__19290.1363622567.1280.1280.jpg
This picture from Google Image Search.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #37  
Disc and drag are the only way to ensure a really smooth surface. You'll have to make several passes to get it done.

Use caution when working on hills. I assume you don't have a tractor yet based on your initial post in this thread and lack of information in your profile. If so, I'd get a tractor that permits the wheels to be adjusted for a sufficiently wide stance to minimize rollover risk.

Good luck.

Follow up to my previous post:

It doesn't cost a lot to rig up a disc and drag combo. Here's one that I use on my 6-acre hayfield.

Offset disc,drag-2.JPGOffset disc,drag-1.JPG

It's a 7-ft Towner offset disc that a neighbor gave me (no cost), a few tires/rims from another neighbor (no cost), some chain, a few bags of concrete and several plastic buckets for the weights on the disc (~90 lb each) and that's it. A few passes over the field makes the surface level and smooth.

Good luck

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #38  
An old 2wd 50-60 hp tractor with a big finish mower works wonders compared to what you're using. Our fields are rough, I love jumping in our 100 hp MF vs bumping along in the 50 hp Kubota. We have used a little 50 hp IH though in years past which is quite smooth too.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #39  
Follow up to my previous post:

It doesn't cost a lot to rig up a disc and drag combo. Here's one that I use on my 6-acre hayfield.

View attachment 343687View attachment 343686

That is good for a crop field but what if your wanting to do your yard, wouldn't you need to pack it down some afterwards? I have the same issue with old tractor ruts.

/ How do you mow rough ground quickly? #40  
That is good for a crop field but what if your wanting to do your yard, wouldn't you need to pack it down some afterwards? I have the same issue with old tractor ruts.

Here's how I put in the landscaping around my house.
1) Plow the area with a middle buster and my Kubota B7510HST

Kubota-middle buster-1.JPG

2) Rototill--Yanmar RS1200 48" wide

Kubota rototill-1.JPG

3) Use my Huskee riding mower and a tire drag to bust up the large clods

Huskee tire drag.JPG

4) Use a carpet drag to smooth and level the surface

Huskee carpet drag.JPG

5) Use water-filled roller to compact the soil

Huskee roller.JPG

I used the riding mower for the finishing steps since the Kubota has ag tires that would mess up the planting surface.

Good luck