Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default It was a good battery.... while it lasted!

I bought my '01 JD 790 four yrs ago and never had any problems with the battery until last Friday. I was bushhogging for a couple hours and then parked it. A bit later I went to crank it up to move it and got nothing out of the starter, not even a click. Having had it for 4 years, I just knew it was the battery, so I pulled it out and headed to O'Reillys for a new one. The old battery was a Titanium from Autozone I think, and the date code on it said it was an '03 battery, so I guess it was a good one to get 10 yrs out of it. Put the new battery in and went back to bushhogging Saturday for a couple more hours and life is good! Hopefully this new one will last another 10 yrs!
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Default Re: It was a good battery.... while it lasted!

Might wan't to buy a lottery ticket, I never get that kind of life out of a cheap battery. I don't use trickle chargers though and while that may help I don't have the patience to keep up with 30+ trickle chargers either. If I get 6 years out of a walmart battery I am happy.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510

Had the OEM battery in a Mahindra last 11+ years. Kept it on a maintainer while parked and never let me down until it died one cold morning. RIP!!
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 5105, 3005, and '49 8n

The battery in my '08 3005 lasted about 19 months. Same thing in my 5105, the OE batteries just didn't hold up. JD replaced the one in the 5105 and it lasted about 5 years, however it did not have a vent hose like the OE and would leak out of the caps when going over rough ground and made a mess of the battery tray. I went to a parts store and bought a replacement for the 3005.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Might wan't to buy a lottery ticket, I never get that kind of life out of a cheap battery. I don't use trickle chargers though and while that may help I don't have the patience to keep up with 30+ trickle chargers either. If I get 6 years out of a walmart battery I am happy.
    Same here I just replaced a walmart battery I bought in 2006...with another one...but batteries have gone up...I paid $90.00 & change for a mid range walmart battery...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720, John Deere GT225

I got 12 1/2 years out of my Toyota Tundra battery and just broke that record with my JD GT225 which I bought new in Feb 2001, 12 years and 7 months and still going strong, never used a trickle charger. I may put this battery in a display case when or if it ever dies.

Only got 4 years 4 months out of my JD 2720 battery. Never had a battery for my TroyBilt rototiller last more than 2 years.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH

We recently had to change the battery in our NH TC40D. I seemed to be working just fine. Never had any problems. Then, while working with the FEL demolishing an old mobile home, I shut the tractor off get off for a few minutes. When I got back on, dead .... no warning at all. Just wouldn't start, only clicked.

We pulled a truck over and jumped it off and it started right up. Decided not to shut it off for the remainder of the job since we didn't want to have to jump it again. Figured we would check the battery later. When we were done we just parked the tractor. It was too hot out and we were too tired to check the battery/charging system.

My brother-in-law called me later and said he thought he found why the battery went dead. Had something to do with the hole we poked through it. Looked like on of the out-riggers on the old mobile home went through the screen in the grill and the battery ... any further and it would have also gone through the radiator.

New battery is working just fine.
    New Holland Workmaster 45 2WD Gear
    Massey Ferguson 240
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Woods BH 70-X Sub-frame Backhoe
    Troybuilt Super Bronco w/42" mower
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller
    Ariens 6.5 HP String Mower
    Husqvarna HU625WT String Mower

3 point hitch attachments:
    single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

30 acres, 15 acres, 5 acres

Platinum Member

The battery in my '98 NH 1920 just was replaced this summer. It actually wasn't bad yet, just the victim of another electrical issue.
    The Opti-Mist