Full time 4WD ?

/ Full time 4WD ? #11  
If my tractor is moving then its on a slope. The only flat spot it sees is under the shed when its parked.

I always leave mine in 4wd.

/ Full time 4WD ? #12  
If my tractor is moving then its on a slope. The only flat spot it sees is under the shed when its parked.

I always leave mine in 4wd.

Ditto. Mine goes in 2wd two or three times a year when it gets on pavement.

Terry

/ Full time 4WD ? #13  
I have 4 tractors with 4 wheel drive and leaving any of them in 4 wheel drive all the time wears out the front tires quicker. I only use 4 wheel for slopes, excess weight in the FEL, or heavy pulling such as plowing new pasture that has not been worked for years.

/ Full time 4WD ? #14  
My front tires (industrial) tear up the grass when I turn sharp in 4WD. Usually leave it in 4WD unless driving down the road or doing work or moving something on lawn.

/ Full time 4WD ? #15  
I'm of the opinion that 4wd should only be used when needed, or when traction is light enough not to stress things. Running it all the time is just more wear and risk of breakage on tires/front drive components/lawn/etc. Heavy loader loads in my opinion are not good reasons to use 4wd unless you need it for traction in slippery surfaces (not because your rear wheels are light), you need more ballast in that case. The rear axles on every tractor are built much beefier, and are much simpler than the front, no need to stress them just running around. My tractor has no power steering and it only takes one turn while mowing to realize I've left it in 4WD after coming through a wet spot, the binding in the drive line is significant on dry grass, and this is on a 1400lb tractor with no loader on. Imagine the stress when you get your power steering working against your drive line in a large tractor with the loader on.

Obviously if you're running with turfs on wet grass on hills or through loose dirt or mud, the risk is much lower and leaving in 4WD is beneficial so you don't spin the tires, but anytime it's dry, it should be 2wd. Not just pavement.

/ Full time 4WD ? #16  
2wd all the time! 4wd only when needed.

Used to leave our old L3750 w/loader in 4wd all the time and no ballast on the 3 pt hitch. Then the front axle went to chit. Had to rebuild it, what an expensive mess!!!

/ Full time 4WD ? #17  
I agree with the 2WD unless 4WD is needed. The L3940 with R4's is used here 365 days a year for feeding cattle and other small chores. There's about 6000-8000 sq.ft. of concrete on the cows lots where they eat. Unless the lot is really sloppy it maneuvers much better in 2WD than 4WD when the lots are even semi dry. You can see the extra stress 4WD puts on a front axle just by driving and turning in a grassy area and see how much grass is torn up compared to what it does in 2WD.

/ Full time 4WD ? #18  
It depends on the machine. Both of these are full time 4WD, there is no 2WD switch or lever.
P3070021.JPG P3180021.JPG

The Toolcat has a switch for 2WSteer or 4WSteer.
P1300003.JPG

The V417 has 2WSteer, crab steer or 4WSteer.
P9290019.JPG
Neither one tears up the grass when turning. :thumbsup:

/ Full time 4WD ? #19  
Full time 4WD here! First off I don't have any paved surface within two miles of my place and second, it's all hilly terrain. Some roads are not often used and are covered with grass, some dirt/stone and most exceed 15 degree slope. In 2WD the rears slide on either and I'm not fond of that sensation!

I run gear oil, not hydraulic fluid in the front axle and every 20 hours I hit both zerk fittings on the front differential.

4WD is all about the terrain and surfaces you work with, some gotta have it, some don't except in specific situations.

/ Full time 4WD ? #20  
Think of it this way. The tractor is pulling - whether it is just itself or a load. The power from the engine to the transmission is about the same, but in 2wd from there all the load goes through the rear and gear and bearing life is not linear depending on load - it is an exponential. Split off part of the load by sending it through the front power train and the overall life will be increased. Like stated before an exception is hard surfaces because of the tire mismatch but the larger articulated in the center tractors don't have to worry about that so they are full time 4wd or they would have to beef up the finals if only one axle was allowed to transmit the power.