Tractor
    mf 40

Default mf 40 no moving

hello I have an mf 40, inherited it, its been sitting about a year, it has the 4 speed transmission, 1 n2, L n H , shifters, I know nothing about these tractors. It will shift into gear but not move. any help please thank you

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

Did you put it in a range on th L n H lever. Needs to be in n to start and L or H to move.

Does it feel like its trying to move or not even getting power to the drive wheels.

Tractor
    mf 40

Default Re: mf 40 no moving

I think I made big. Mistake lol. Guess u have to use the foot pedals to make it go instead if the throttle next to the steering wheel? Haven't tried that yet. As I said never used this tractor. Been on tractors since I was 6 raking hay but this things got me stumped. When I shifted it I didn't feel much not a rocking just a tick

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF5465

I believe you have am industrial model, not a farm model. On the industrial model the accelerator is on the right where the foot brakes usually are . To move put the gear stick in gear then step on the left OR right accelerator pedal to go forward or backward. NB since the accelerator is where the brakes normally are the brake pedals are now under the left foot. It took me a while to adapt.

Tractor
    mf 40

well it was the pedals, they were siezed, loosed them up it goes now, but now it seems the posi tract is locked in. how do you get outta positrac? it started working in reverse, i can turn now in reverse but forward is still locked, you can feel it click in.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

Good to hear you got it to move. I will assume its diff lock and not posi track. Check and see if there is a pedal on the floor near the back of the right floor pan. If so thats the diff lock petal. Try pulling up on it as the spring return to disengaged mode might be broke and the weight of the pedal is engaging it.

Tractor
    mf 40

nothin g on the right but a handle about three feet long. I have no clue what its for? any help. looks like a hand clutch from a wd45, not sure what it is, might be diff lock but not sure how to disengage

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

That lever is the diff lock try pulling up on it or pushing down. But if it doesn't move don't force it.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF5465

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    That lever is the diff lock try pulling up on it or pushing down. But if it doesn't move don't force it.
    Try to rock the tractor in case the diff lock is torque locked in and can't disengage.
    Lastly if this does not work use penetrating oil where the lever goes into the transmission. Diff locks tend to seize or get very stiff from lack of use. My father put penetrating oil on his mf135 and mf240 diff locks because they would seize from lack of use if he didn't.