Breaking In A New Diesel Engine....

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #1  

Utopia Texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 / Kubota L6060 / Kubota ZD2300
I have less than 10 hours on a NH 3050 and all my projects lately have been minor brush clean up where I do not need to run the engine over 1500 rpm. Is there any harm during the break in period running this slow or should I drop into a lower range where the engine rpm's run higher sometimes? Thanks....

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #2  
My belief is that rpm's should be varied during break-in and high rpm's should be avoided. 1500/2000 is a nice easy revolution for a new engine. Would I hesitate to go to PTO rpm's after ten hours? No, but I wouldn't work a machine at that speed all day long either, until I hit a 50 hour oil/filter change.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #3  
Interesting. My engineering career involved three products - grain combines, vibratory compactors and mills - the machines that mill asphalt roadways. All run at two speeds, low idle or full throttle. The compactors use the full range of engines used in tractors from CUT to medium size ag (175 HP). Running at less than full speed a combine will not separate the wheat from the chaff and the vibratory compactor will be a Flintstonemobile. Life problems from running full speed high power from the start- zilch. Problem running constant speed - zilch. Expected life - 10,000 hours to first overhaul except for the smaller compactors where it is 5,000 hours and the large mills where we're talking 30,000 hours. Think about other uses for Diesel engines like gen sets where they need to produce 60 Hz AC from the start. Taking it easy at the start of a tractor - no problem, but if they require a specific break-in prior to doing the job for which it is intended they should do it before it is delivered.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #4  
I got my 3005 with 1.8 hours on it... aka new from the dealer. I took it easy for the first few hours but then WOT with the brush hog. Did the 50 hour oil change today @ 54.2 hrs. I'm not too worried... run it how you plan to run it.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #5  
what they are referring to as easy break in is not running the motor well over 2000rpms.i work my tractor at 1500 to 2000 rpms.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #6  
WOT ' seat the rings best break in these engines .

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #7  
Harry is right on, run it like you rented it.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #8  
Always lots of opinions on break-in no matter the engine. I am neither an engineer or mechanic, so I just go with the manual which has worked well for me so far. I've found I can do pretty much everything I need to do and stay pretty darned close to the manual.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #9  
I don't abuse my tractor and have never abused rental equipment.... manuals are good guidelines but are often written to reduce liability for the vendor (notice the pages of warnings and cautions and stop signs?)...

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #10  
IIRC my tractor manual said to run it at full load and vary the throttle setting from mid range to WOT. Nothing worse on a diesel than to run it at 1500 RPM during break in and none to very light load. Loading it helps to seat everything in and prevent later problems with oil consumption. Large Ag tractors are typically demonstrated using largest equipment that they can pull at WOT, that is what they are designed to do so it doesn't hurt the engine to run that speed from the get go as long as you let it warm up first after starting.