Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    ford 8n

Default just bought 8n ford

hi guys just unloaded my 8n from a friend needs some TLC he has converted it to 12 volt it has front mount dist.
    he said it has problem cranking now not in the carb or fuel system
    going to check the points any advise other problems I need to look for ?

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: just bought 8n ford

Welcome, You mean He unloaded it on you.?
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Points wont effect the cranking. Allthough its a good Idea to do a tune-up and clean/replace the points since they are cheap.

As to the not cranking, make sure its out of fear and try jumping to the starter. IF it spins, that would eliminate the starter as being the problem. Could be the push button or a stuck solenoid.

Also, make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Do you have a volt meter?? if so, check to make sure you are getting 12v AT the starter. The solenoid is simply grounded through the push-button to crank the starter. Make sure that wire isnt broken or missin also.

Post back with some more detail.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Points wont effect the cranking. Allthough its a good Idea to do a tune-up and clean/replace the points since they are cheap.

As to the not cranking, make sure its out of fear and try jumping to the starter. IF it spins, that would eliminate the starter as being the problem. Could be the push button or a stuck solenoid.

Also, make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Do you have a volt meter?? if so, check to make sure you are getting 12v AT the starter. The solenoid is simply grounded through the push-button to crank the starter. Make sure that wire isnt broken or missin also.

Post back with some more detail.
    Sometimes people refer to cranking as 'starting'. I'm pretty certain that the OP means the tractor won't start, but does turn over.

Maybe the he will post again to update us on the situation.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    ford 8n

mite be rite but had my eyes open on this deal

Tractor
    ford 8n

don thanks for your interest your rite it cranks but wont start iv checked all wires and ing sys I fond no spark checked points an found they were closed not opening
    also found the keeper ring was not in place holding plate in the distributer was not in its grove anyway long story short adjusted and put back tried got one spark one spark only any suggestions what ive missed

Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by robertestes View Post
    mite be rite but had my eyes open on this deal
    You can almost always get an 8N running and use it for numerous tasks they were built for. No one is going to claim they can do everything a modern tractor can do, but no one can say a new modern tractor can cost effectively do what an inexpensive 8N can do. You had your eyes open so I trust you got a good deal.

Tractor
    05' JD 790 - 49' Ford 8n - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 1950 John Deere MC - 1992 Thomas T-83 skid steer

About 60% of all old tractor problems are electrical, another 39% are fuel. I would check the coil, if its been converted to 12v change the coil to 12v and save your self the resistor problems, I have never had good luck with 6v coils in 12v systems, but there are hundreds of people that have never had a problem so that's your call. Another thing is buy a new set of points, cleaning them works sometimes but never seams to last, especially for field tractors or ones that set out to the weather for long. I think you can replace points, condenser, rotor button, cap plugs and wires for $50 or so, well worth the expense. That's my advice, I don't always follow it, $70 I just rattled off is cheap for tractor maintenance if you have it but might as well be $1000 if you don't have it.

On another note, I think the Ford N's are one of the finest tractors ever made. They have there limitations and if you learn them and work with them they will preform as well or better than most modern compacts. We have 2 of them here on the farm and they get used almost daily during hay season, A finer raking tractor has never been made. We tote feed wagons around with them, bush hog pastures and field edges, dig post holes, winch firewood, grade the driveways and dirt roads, the list never ends. Parts are easy to get and cheap, a lot available at local auto parts stores, many more at local case/NH dealer, the rest on the web. They are easy to work on, I can split and change the clutch and re-assemble before coffee break, try that with a new compact. My biggest caution is if its got a loader the front end, in particular the steering components are a little weak.

Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck!!!
    check us out at www.tessiersfarm.com

Tractor
    Many

I have not tried these but some swear by the electronic upgrades

http://www.stevenstractor.com/parts/...ion-kit-1.html

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

on the 12v 'upgrade'

does it have a new 2.5 ohm 12v coil AND the OEM ballast resistor?

or?
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast