just bought 8n ford

/ just bought 8n ford #1  

robertestes

Tractor
ford 8n
hi guys just unloaded my 8n from a friend needs some TLC he has converted it to 12 volt it has front mount dist.
he said it has problem cranking now not in the carb or fuel system
going to check the points any advise other problems I need to look for ?

/ just bought 8n ford #2  
Welcome, You mean He unloaded it on you.?

/ just bought 8n ford #3  
Points wont effect the cranking. Allthough its a good Idea to do a tune-up and clean/replace the points since they are cheap.

As to the not cranking, make sure its out of fear and try jumping to the starter. IF it spins, that would eliminate the starter as being the problem. Could be the push button or a stuck solenoid.

Also, make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Do you have a volt meter?? if so, check to make sure you are getting 12v AT the starter. The solenoid is simply grounded through the push-button to crank the starter. Make sure that wire isnt broken or missin also.

Post back with some more detail.

/ just bought 8n ford #4  
Points wont effect the cranking. Allthough its a good Idea to do a tune-up and clean/replace the points since they are cheap.

As to the not cranking, make sure its out of fear and try jumping to the starter. IF it spins, that would eliminate the starter as being the problem. Could be the push button or a stuck solenoid.

Also, make sure your battery connections are clean and tight. Do you have a volt meter?? if so, check to make sure you are getting 12v AT the starter. The solenoid is simply grounded through the push-button to crank the starter. Make sure that wire isnt broken or missin also.

Post back with some more detail.
Sometimes people refer to cranking as 'starting'. I'm pretty certain that the OP means the tractor won't start, but does turn over.

Maybe the he will post again to update us on the situation.

/ just bought 8n ford
don thanks for your interest your rite it cranks but wont start iv checked all wires and ing sys I fond no spark checked points an found they were closed not opening
also found the keeper ring was not in place holding plate in the distributer was not in its grove anyway long story short adjusted and put back tried got one spark one spark only any suggestions what ive missed

/ just bought 8n ford #7  
mite be rite but had my eyes open on this deal

You can almost always get an 8N running and use it for numerous tasks they were built for. No one is going to claim they can do everything a modern tractor can do, but no one can say a new modern tractor can cost effectively do what an inexpensive 8N can do. You had your eyes open so I trust you got a good deal.

/ just bought 8n ford #8  
About 60% of all old tractor problems are electrical, another 39% are fuel. I would check the coil, if its been converted to 12v change the coil to 12v and save your self the resistor problems, I have never had good luck with 6v coils in 12v systems, but there are hundreds of people that have never had a problem so that's your call. Another thing is buy a new set of points, cleaning them works sometimes but never seams to last, especially for field tractors or ones that set out to the weather for long. I think you can replace points, condenser, rotor button, cap plugs and wires for $50 or so, well worth the expense. That's my advice, I don't always follow it, $70 I just rattled off is cheap for tractor maintenance if you have it but might as well be $1000 if you don't have it.

On another note, I think the Ford N's are one of the finest tractors ever made. They have there limitations and if you learn them and work with them they will preform as well or better than most modern compacts. We have 2 of them here on the farm and they get used almost daily during hay season, A finer raking tractor has never been made. We tote feed wagons around with them, bush hog pastures and field edges, dig post holes, winch firewood, grade the driveways and dirt roads, the list never ends. Parts are easy to get and cheap, a lot available at local auto parts stores, many more at local case/NH dealer, the rest on the web. They are easy to work on, I can split and change the clutch and re-assemble before coffee break, try that with a new compact. My biggest caution is if its got a loader the front end, in particular the steering components are a little weak.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck!!!

/ just bought 8n ford #10  
on the 12v 'upgrade'

does it have a new 2.5 ohm 12v coil AND the OEM ballast resistor?

or?