How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)?

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #111  
Picked up my new Kubota L3200 this Saturday & logged just over 8 hours running the rotary cutter. Finished up with a quarter tank to spare (probably 1gal per hour), so it's almost out of commission until I figure out a fueling strategy. Not exactly unexpected, but I just hadn't gotten around to it as it's not particularly urgent & had other stuff to do. My tractor is going to be a weekend warrior, so not getting a lot of work, maybe 10-20 hours a month, maybe.

I have a Shell station under a 2 mile drive away (quarter mile as the crow flies) & they sell off-road diesel. I had been planning on getting a 55 gallon drum ($10-20 for a decent plastic one) & manual or 12v pump, filling it at the local station & schlepping it home in my truck. Unload the barrel & leave it in the shop to fuel the tractor as necessary. Other thoughts were spending $300ish & getting a decent used 200-300gal tank (maybe just a couple 55 gal drums ) & having fuel delivered. My least exciting option would just be driving the tractor to the station to fuel it up.

Is getting delivery going to be price competitive with filling up a few 55gal drums?

I was just faced with this problem when I added a skid steer (40 gallon capacity) to my two diesel tractors and RTV. Tractors fill from the top....skid steer from the top rear, higher than the tractors. I ended up finding a $75 used heating oil tank with legs in good condition. Painted it green and set it on concrete patio blocks. Added a great 12V transfer pump with a digital flow meter from Northern Tool for around $249 and a diesel filter for $39.95 . The pump has 10' of 1"hose and pumps 20 gal/minute. When diesel was $3.96 at the pump, I paid $3.48 delivered. I leave it up to you to do the math and make your own decision. My tank sits along the drive to the pole barn. It's a great system and no more lugging heavy (for me) 5 gallon plastic fuel containers.

George

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #112  
I am retired from farming and sold my JD 4450, but the best system I found when using it on a daily basis was a 125 gallon tank in the rear of my pickup truck. I went to town for breakfast every morning and filled the tank on the way back to the farm. I used a vacuum pump and an automatic shutoff nozzle, like the service stations have. The nozzle would give me extra time for other things, like checking oil, coolant, etc.
I now have 15 acres and a Great Dane ZTR mower. With it, I use heavy duty racing fuel containers and a splash proof funnel from Sunoco Racing Fuel dealer. Those funnels are great. They have a lip inside that keeps the fuel from splashing out when filling the tank.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #113  
I am fortunate to have a convenience store about 3/4 mile up the highway, and they sell both on road & offroad diesel. Just a quick drive up there and top off the tank, can't remember when I last had to store diesel in a can lol.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #114  
I use a TERAPUMP ( TRHDo3)transfer pump 2 d' cell battery operated .got it from amazon . com, for$ 15.99 works great, however has a short hose. can use diesel or gas. ct hanse

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #115  
Got an old oil drum, like the ones used for heating oil furnace, Placed it on the raised stand. Went to Northern tool and got a shut off valve , filter, hose and nozzel. Just gravity feed. works great. No need for electricity either.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #116  
I initially started in the 5 gallon bucket brigade, but a 3 day weekend had me going into town 3 times. Got tiring. So I got a 50 gallon plastic drum, and an electric gas pump from Northern Tool (12 volt).

But what I did that I have not heard here was I built a metal cage that holds my bucket upright. I bolted this cage onto a plastic pallet and now just use the pickle forks to get it in and out. The plastic cage prevents tipping which was the first issue I had with the 50 gallon barrel. If I find pix i will post.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #117  
I ...The plastic cage prevents tipping which was the first issue I had with the 50 gallon barrel. If I find pix i will post.
Yes please. I'm considering this solution and need hints regarding handling the barrel. If you can't finds pics, a more detailed description would be appreciated.
Thanks

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #118  
DO YOU HAVE A FRONT END LOADER ON THE TRACTOR?

Picked up my new Kubota L3200 this Saturday & logged just over 8 hours running the rotary cutter. Finished up with a quarter tank to spare (probably 1gal per hour), so it's almost out of commission until I figure out a fueling strategy. Not exactly unexpected, but I just hadn't gotten around to it as it's not particularly urgent & had other stuff to do. My tractor is going to be a weekend warrior, so not getting a lot of work, maybe 10-20 hours a month, maybe.

I have a Shell station under a 2 mile drive away (quarter mile as the crow flies) & they sell off-road diesel. I had been planning on getting a 55 gallon drum ($10-20 for a decent plastic one) & manual or 12v pump, filling it at the local station & schlepping it home in my truck. Unload the barrel & leave it in the shop to fuel the tractor as necessary. Other thoughts were spending $300ish & getting a decent used 200-300gal tank (maybe just a couple 55 gal drums ) & having fuel delivered. My least exciting option would just be driving the tractor to the station to fuel it up.

Is getting delivery going to be price competitive with filling up a few 55gal drums?

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)?
Yes I have a loader.

I've been using a new 5 gallon can & cursing the EPA or whoever is responsible for the new nozzles every time I use it.

I'll end up with a pump & tank or 55 gallon drum shortly.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #120  
If you are using your drill one day and slip, you might accidentally drill a hole in the handle of your new EPA approved gas can. Mine just happened to be exactly the size to snugly fit a golf tee. That golf tee falls out a lot, especially when I'm pouring fuel out of the can. It sure speeds up the process though and then I install the tee to keep dirt out and the EPA happy.;)