How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)?

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #122  
I generaly drive mine to the nearest Love's truck stop and fill up with highway diesel. It is almost exactly 1 mile from my house and open 24/7, so very convenient to my chore schedule. I do trailer my tractor to various places during the year and usually will stop on my way back home to top it off if I'm already out and about, but this has worked very well for me so far.

There is a feed and seed store at the end of my neighborhood lane that sells offroad diesel and would be that much more convenient and cheaper, but I never buy it there because they can't definitively tell me whether it's high sulfur or ULSD, which my tractor (and yours) calls for.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #123  
Have two tractors a John Deere 1030 and a Ford 641. These tractors are located on two separate islands at the lower end of the Neches river here in TEXAS where I run cattle.
Fueling: 1. Get 5 gal. cans..put in the boat 2. Hook up boat 3. Go to gas station. 4. Take cans out of boat. 5. Fill cans with fuel. 6. Put cans back in boat 7. Launch boat 8. Run 1 mile up river 9. Take cans out of boat. 10. Carry cans through cattle pens to tractor. 11. And finally...fill tank!! Taa Daa!!!

0525121405.jpgw sprayer.jpg
John Deere loaded on cattle barge for transport to another island and my Ford with a spray rig.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)?
http://ezpourspout.com/

It's too bad they only work on pre-2009 cans, despite the main opening & threads matching up. They even come with the vent cap which fits 1/2" holes.

Wish there was some way to put a round 1/2" hole in soft plastic to install the vent or install that nozzle that apparently has clearance issues with the date stamp on the can.

I still can't figure out how me spilling a cup or 2 or diesel all over & the new fancy spout leaking everywhere every fill up is better for the environment.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #125  
I purchased a 14 gallon fuel caddy from Tractor Supply (#300140399) $89. Even though it is red, it is suitable for diesel and I just marked it all over with a magic marker that its diesel. It has a handy little nozzle, pump attachment that you can gravity drain or pump with. I simply put the caddy in the bucket of the front end loader, lift it above the tractor fuel cap and gravity drain fuel into the tractor. Optionally, you can use the manual pump on the caddy to transfer the fuel. The 14 gallon caddy is just small enough and has grab handles that I can hoist it in and out of my pick-up even when full. It works beautifully for my needs. Be sure to read the nozzle/pump directions, it works a little different than you might think.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #127  
If you are using your drill one day and slip, you might accidentally drill a hole in the handle of your new EPA approved gas can. Mine just happened to be exactly the size to snugly fit a golf tee. That golf tee falls out a lot, especially when I'm pouring fuel out of the can. It sure speeds up the process though and then I install the tee to keep dirt out and the EPA happy.;)

What a coincidence! The exact same thing happened to me. Except I had a 1/2" bit in my drill, so a tee just isn't big enough. As luck would have it, I found a tire valve stem that didn't have a valve in it, but a perfectly functioning cap.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #129  
Let me know how it fits up and how it works :)

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #130  
If you are using your drill one day and slip, you might accidentally drill a hole in the handle of your new EPA approved gas can. Mine just happened to be exactly the size to snugly fit a golf tee. That golf tee falls out a lot, especially when I'm pouring fuel out of the can. It sure speeds up the process though and then I install the tee to keep dirt out and the EPA happy.;)

This cracked me up. Pure genius. :thumbsup: