How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)?

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #11  
- Jay

Attachments

• Fuelfill2_web.JPG
    Fuelfill2_web.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 686
   / How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #12  
I use my tractor mostly weekends, a 5 gallon can can last sometimes a month(my tractor is a 3 cyl 29hp engine) what I being doing recently is taking my 5 gallon can and pouring it partially in a 2 gallon can which is easier to handle.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #13  
This 1025 is easier than the 4010. On the 4010, I had to lift a 5 gallon container up onto the hood and then do a hand-pump-start siphon (from TSC). Now, I only lift the container onto the seat.

My generator belly tank holds 60 gallon. I refuel the tractor from it, using a little 12v pump to fill my 5 gallon container. If I got a long piece of tygon tubing, I could fill the tractor directly from the tank, but using the 5 gallon container gives me an easy check of fuel consumption.

Then every so often I run to the fuel station and pick up another 4+ containers of fuel and put into the generator tank. I can hand siphon into the tank with the containers sitting on a short step ladder. Some of these days, I'll maybe get a 20 gallon container to put into my pickup. Need one that'll fit onto the bucket of my tractor. Don't want to invest in forks.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #14  
EZ-POUR

See link above for how to replace your idiot caps.

I use 5 gal. plastic cans. My tank cap is about as high as the seat back, so it is not handy for a full jug, but I can manage it. I take the EPA cap completely off and pour into a large funnel.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #15  
Besides not having a shut off control the harbor Freight diesel transfer pump does not have any type of screw on canister filter. I take two 55 gallon drums once a year to my local bulk dealer, load and unload from a flat bed trailer with the front forks. I have a unknown ancient 12v pump I have used with great success and it does have a screw on diesel filter which I really would not do without. I know the individual tractor engines have the smaller filter before the injector but I am not one to take chances. Diesels are expensive to get repaired....

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #16  
I second the vote for the 5 gallon cans for your uses. If you're only running the tractor on the weekends, it's not often you'll need more than what you can carry in a can or two. Not sure where your filler is, but I like a can with well rounded corners on the bottom so I can set the can down and lean to pour. I have more issues with my small lawn tractors than my big tractor, it works out so I can prop a leg up on the step, set the can on my leg, and lean it right into the filler. In my case also I like the "spillproof" option on my can, because I can get the can turned up and the filler tube on the can into the filler of the tractor tank before enabling the flow from the can.

Avoid galvanized steel cans for diesel storage, there can be some reactions inside the can with the galvanization that will cause it to come out in your fuel system and cause costly repairs.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #17  
Growing up we had two of the 200 gallon tanks, one each for ORD and ORG. As we got to using less, the oil company stopped home delivery. So we took a fifty five gallon drum to them to get diesel, loading and unloading it and the pallet it sits on with the hay forks. My sister and BIL have been doing more farming than me, so they had the drum and hand pump at their place. I use three five gallon gas cans, buying ORD at our local bait shop. {you can pick up fifty crickets at the same time, and if you go fishing instead of mowing, you won't use as much diesel} One of the old ones, and two of the ones that don't work. The bad thing is the threads are not the same, so I can't put the good spout on the new cans. Until I learned to only put four gallons in them, I siphoned about half of it into the good can, then poured the rest without the spout. I do it free hand, and so far haven't spilled much.

When I was just using the B7500, five gallons would last forever. But since I bought the 6' RFM and have been using the 3930 more, I have been having to deal with it every two or three weeks.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #18  
ole yellow used here.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #19  
For myself, I find holding/pouring gas cans above the hood of the tractor to be awkward and usually messy. I don't go through huge amounts of fuel but I still appreciate easily rolling my caddy beside the tractor, placing the hose in the tank and turning a handle. Takes only a minute and I'm not dragging out a ladder or balancing myself on the FEL.

I just add Stabil to the caddy and never worry about storing the diesel.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #20  
I used to use yellow Jerry cans when we had just the one tractor but when the second one came along I went with the 55gallon drum and the 120 volt pump. Works well for me.

1a7cfbb8-0e37-45ab-a98c-5bc752451e0c_zps4cd6cd36.jpg

w3_zpsc8ed7f28.jpg