How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)?

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #191  
Haven't had a need for an auto shutoff. I turn the pump on and stand on the 3pt.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #192  
Haven't had a need for an auto shutoff. I turn the pump on and stand on the 3pt.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #193  
Here's how I fuel mine. A 14 gallon Flo 'N Go.

20140617_143846_zpse4cffcba.jpg

20140617_143903_zps87cec4fc.jpg

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #194  
It is fascinating to see all the different ways people resolve this odd difficulty.

But a number of the responses lead me to a different, but related, question. Several respondents have said they use 55 gallon drums, or 100 gallon tanks that they fill in various ways. My question is, how long does diesel fuel last? One is always told to use "fresh gasoline" in your lawn mower or chain saw; and that you should discard gasoline not used over the winter. I also understand that diesel fuel used for trucks, etc., which one buys at a gas station is formulated differently for different seasons. If that's true, one imagines that fuel bought in the spring is probably not optimal for snow plowing. Note everything I have stated here is hearsay; I'd love to know the real situation.

dan

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #195  
It is fascinating to see all the different ways people resolve this odd difficulty.

But a number of the responses lead me to a different, but related, question. Several respondents have said they use 55 gallon drums, or 100 gallon tanks that they fill in various ways. My question is, how long does diesel fuel last? One is always told to use "fresh gasoline" in your lawn mower or chain saw; and that you should discard gasoline not used over the winter. I also understand that diesel fuel used for trucks, etc., which one buys at a gas station is formulated differently for different seasons. If that's true, one imagines that fuel bought in the spring is probably not optimal for snow plowing. Note everything I have stated here is hearsay; I'd love to know the real situation.

dan

Diesel fuel itself lasts a long long time (years if not decades). But you must make sure it does not get water in it or it will grow algae. (diesel bugs). You can always put in some of your favorite diesel additive for the winter. Not so gasoline. Expecially gasoline with ethanol in it..

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #196  
Thanks to a poster on another forum, I found this:

No Spill Fuel Cans

This is the greatest thing since the invention of lubricated condoms.

My tractor has the fuel filler on the hood. This makes filling the tractor much easier, and it doesn't spill a single drop. You can just lay it down on its side and push the button.

You're the first person I've heard that liked the new no-spill style nozzles. Maybe it's political with them (EPA, CARB-compliant), or maybe it was a different less quality nozzle. I'm going to need some replacement cans soon so I'll give them a second look.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #198  
You're the first person I've heard that liked the new no-spill style nozzles. Maybe it's political with them (EPA, CARB-compliant), or maybe it was a different less quality nozzle. I'm going to need some replacement cans soon so I'll give them a second look.

I love the no spill can for my small power equipment... finger tip control allows me to fill quickly without spilling a drop.

Bought my first one at the Honda Dealer.

I hate with a passion the other versions of the CARB/EPA cans that self destruct by themselves!

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #199  
Diesel fuel itself lasts a long long time (years if not decades). But you must make sure it does not get water in it or it will grow algae. (diesel bugs). You can always put in some of your favorite diesel additive for the winter. Not so gasoline. Expecially gasoline with ethanol in it..

Not so with bio diesel....it will start to grow pretty quick.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #200  
While my tractor is easier to fuel since its on the fender; I'll still add in what I use. I just got the tractor and needed some diesel cans and hate all the CARB compliant ones. I did some searching and came across racing fuel cans. Since they are not "designed for transportation" they don't require the auto vent and have a real open vent. The ones I bought came in tons of colors (got yellow) and with a long filler hose that I can get in place before fuel flows. The caps on them are also very heavy duty. They were a little pricey, but well worth it. I dump all 5 gallons in a minute or two.