How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)?

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #31  
Diesel will break down pretty quickly in long term storage.
Read some thread here, diesel last a LONG time if you just add some biocide.

Is getting delivery going to be price competitive with filling up a few 55gal drums?
What's your usage? Are you going to be going thru 5 gallons a week? 50?

In case you have not noticed it fuel prices cycle.
ch.gaschart
Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

If your like me you could plan on a couple of plastic jugs:8x6SAM_0422.jpg

But then close relatives and I also own about 5 diesel vehicles, and 6 tractors ranging from a 135HP MF down to my B7610.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #32  
I went the cheap but effective route. The filler cap on the BX2350 is near the seat. Holding a 5 gallon can, as oldballs said in post 6. gets old very quickly (and he's got 4 years on me). I use an old WWll 5 gallon Jerry can, a jiggle siphon ( Jiggle Syphon - YouTube ) and 4 metres of fish tank tubing. The full can goes in the FEL which is then raised up to about waist height. The siphon is started and the FEL is raised up to just above head height. I then go and have a coffee, or stand around and scratch myself.
The speed of the siphon is determined by the weight of the fluid between the siphon inlet and outlet so the higher the can of fuel is raised the less time it takes. The only inconvenience is draining the siphon afterwards.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #33  
Anyone that used to heat their home with fuel oil will let you know the pitfalls of outside fuel tanks. Not saying they are a bad idea if you use enough fuel and deal with the problems of crud/water. Either outside tanks or 5 gallon cans both have their pros and cons. I only use probably 50-60 gallons a year in my two tractors, and fuel cans has been my option to make sure I fill them with fresh fuel. But someone that 'works' their tractor for a living, would not probably go this route...

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #34  
300 gallons x 100 hours per year x may-be 1 gallon per hr.= three years of fuel! I prefer to keep my fuel fresh and winter blend as needed.Five gallon cans for me and my tractor sees 150 hrs/yr.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #35  
On Yanmar LXs the fuel tank and cap is located behind the operator's seat. I fold down the back of the seat, set down a 5 gallon jerry can on top of it, and use a "jiggle siphon" hose (like Jim Shooz also uses). While the fuel siphons into the LX's tank I can walk away and work on something else. Note, the LX also has a fuel gauge mark that tells you when its safe to add 5 gallons without overfilling.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #36  
Gas station with off-road diesel two miles away? Me too! I drive the tractor there, fill it, have a chat with the guy who works there, buy a coke, and drive home.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #37  
Oldballs here. You all are right about lifiting 5 gallons and holding it. That's the way I started. But now I have a pulley mounted in a tree that does the lifiting. A section of clear tubing and a hardy inhale gets it going. It doesn't taste that bad.:D

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #38  
I went the cheap but effective route. a jiggle siphon

I am in the jiggle siphon camp too. I have been using them for years for many tasks. For the tractor I have a few 5 gallon cans and also a 20 gallon plastic drum. I use the jiggle on each to fill the tractor. Easy no lifting, no holding nor balancing. I have a roll about stand that I use to fill the tractor. Set the can on the stand, move to the tractor and use the jiggle. I use the FEL to place the cans on the stand. I do not use a lot of fuel so this works for me.

This summer I had some family kids over for the summer. I purchased a small above ground pool for them to use. To empty, it has a hose connection but it sits about 4" from the bottom. So how to get that water out? I used the jiggle. I just weighed down the jiggle outlet then started it going and weighed down the inlet. I placed it at the deepest part of the pool. Since the water level was just a 4" high it was a slow run. I just left it overnight. Next day I checked and it had emptied all the water except a few small puddles. I used a hand siphon to get the rest out; 2 gallons worth.

HF sells the jiggle siphon. I could not find it on the website. I have seen them in the store.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #39  
I use my tractor mostly weekends, a 5 gallon can can last sometimes a month(my tractor is a 3 cyl 29hp engine) what I being doing recently is taking my 5 gallon can and pouring it partially in a 2 gallon can which is easier to handle.
That is how I deal with gasoline for my lawnmowers. After one filling of the 2.5 gallon can, the 5 gallon is easier to hold. All my gas cans have the shutoff valve that you have to push the "safety" on the side then you can open the valve. They work well in that none of the valve leak but it is a bit of a dick to push the safety while pushing the handle to open the valve while holding up the can. The biggest problem with them is that they don't relief pressure or vacuum. Some times the sun will pressure up the fuel and the cans look almost round and then it cools and it sucks the sides in. I only buy the two cans of fuel at a time and if not used in a month, the remaining fuel goes into my truck tank. Gasoline, even with stabil, goes stale pretty quickly so buying more than about 7 gallons at a time is out of the question.
For my diesel I got tired of holding up those 5 gallon cans pretty quickly and bought a 105 gallon tank with 12v pump off Craigslist for $300. Ended up letting my brother in law have that one when I found another for $350 with auto-shutoff nozzle. Now we wait till both tanks are empty and call the home delivery guy to refill them. I put a regular car battery on top of my tank to power the pump and permanently hooked a battery maintainer to it to keep it charged. I used self tapping screw into top of the post to attach the maintainer leads. The cheap clamps kept coming off and the screws work great.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #40  
I fill my new tractor out of the home heating oil tank in the basement.

Since I am on heating assistance I get to use my tractor courtesy of the state welfare program. Last year I used so much fuel the state is insulating my house for free.

Fred