How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)?

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #81  
Even though I have plenty of five gallon MFCs and NATO fuel cans, I plan to get a 12 vdc pump for my F-350's 90 gallon aux fuel tank.

I haven't decided whether or not to get a 100-300 gallon fuel tank for the farm. I'll guess I'll just see how much I use and go from there.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #82  
Even though I have plenty of five gallon MFCs and NATO fuel cans, I plan to get a 12 vdc pump for my F-350's 90 gallon aux fuel tank.

I haven't decided whether or not to get a 100-300 gallon fuel tank for the farm. I'll guess I'll just see how much I use and go from there.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #83  
   / How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #84  
Wow I cannot believe how many still use 5 gallon cans. I went to a 55 gallon fuel tank years ago in the back of my pickup with a electric pump mounted on it. It works great and no more having to worry about spilling fuel, scratching paint, or falling. As for the big field tractors a fuel truck comes out to the field to fuel them up.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #85  
Wow I cannot believe how many still use 5 gallon cans. I went to a 55 gallon fuel tank years ago in the back of my pickup with a electric pump mounted on it. It works great and no more having to worry about spilling fuel, scratching paint, or falling. As for the big field tractors a fuel truck comes out to the field to fuel them up.

And you sacrifice bed space. Unless the tank is fixed to the bed it's technically not "legal". Most pumps in my area have stickers saying containers must be filled on the ground.

Some of the "problems" -
There is a limit of about 8 gallons per container on GASOLINE transport before it becomes hazmat. So mfg don't make a lot of 10 gallon containers cheap.

A decent 50 gallon "Liquid" transfer tank (not a 55 gallon drum rolling around in the back) costs about $250 ( at TSC) and comes with
NOTE: This tank must be securely mounted to the pickup bed. Do not cut or weld on this tank under any circumstances. Do not pressurize this tank over 8 PSI. This tank is to be used only as a transfer tank and solely for private use. It must not, under any circumstances, be connected to the vehicle's existing fuel system as an auxiliary fuel tank. You must use a fuel filter in your pump system. You must use an automatic shut-off nozzle. Remove the pre-vent cap slowly with caution since 2.5 PSI of pressure and accumulate in this tank. Tanks meet D.O.T. requirements for combustible liquids. They are not designed for flammable liquids such as gasoline. Usage of tanks is regulated by states and sometimes local ordinances. Contact your local fire chief or fire marshal to determine your local restrictions.

A 14 gallon fuel "caddy" costs about $150, and will weigh about 150 lbs when full.

A "good" 5 gallon metal can costs about $50 plus, two of them are easy to carry, one in each hand.

A plastic 5 gallon Wal-Mart 5 gallon can costs about $22 and I've had two "wear out" recently, with the plastic breaking up.

My two 20L (5.25 gallon) Jerry cans cost about $27 ea.

So that's my solution until I need quantity.

And I was told by the local (NE Mississippi) fuel suppliers that they charge heavy for quantities less than 3,000 gallons.
Virtually noone heats with fuel oil there. I was wanting to fill 2 300 gallon tanks.

I'm trying to figure out an EASY way to dump my 38 gallons from my F350's tanks.

If you look at post #31 you'll see the fluctuation in fuel prices. I figure if I can time the market I can save 40 cents a gallon.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #86  
I rigged up a 12v pump and fed a 12' 3/8" hose into a 5 gallon pail. I keep it in the tool box of the truck, and when I need fuel, I just pull up along side, stick the hose in the filler, hook up one of those small sealed batteries to it and let it go. Sure it takes about 5-8 minutes, but I use that time to walk around and check out if everything is ok. Easy to re-fill too, snap the big lid off and pour. With these ingenious fandangled new self-venting, non-leaking jerry cans they've come out, I had to figure out something to keep from holding a 40lb can up over my shoulder while it glug glug glugs and spills close to $5 all over the ground. The beauty of my set up...cost me $13!

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #87  
Two 60 litre (14 US gallons?) ex-oil drums that I lift onto a 44/45 gallon drum and hand pump into the filler. Cheap and easy.

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #88  
And now back to the original topic. Shame on all who fed into a troll and totally derailed this thread. If you ignore them, they go away.
I wish I'd known about that rig when I was messing around buying parts and building a fuel dispenser. I spent money on a transfer pump, service station type hose/nozzle, water separating filter and a 15 gallon plastic tank from Gempler's along with the assorted black iron pipe to go with it.
But that was when I had a Kubota tractor with a 7 gallon tank. I've since sold the fuel dispenser. Now that I've got a skid steer with 24 gallon tank, I just drive it to the convenience store less than a half mile away and fill as needed.

Last edited:
   / How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #89  
300 gallon diesel tank on 7 ft. stand. We are about 15 miles from nearest supplier of red diesel. Saves us 38 cents per gallon in state and federal fuel taxes.

Add appropriate amount of Power Services additive whenever tank is refilled. Also run everything through a Golden Rod filter and change filter cartridge every 3rd tank refill.

The only thing we have using gasoline is Polaris Ranger and John Deere Z820-A zero turn mower and all our gas/oil chain saws, trimmers, blowers, etc. Fill them via a MR Funnel. Amazing how much crap and water the MR Filter manages to keep out of our fuel tanks.

Thanks for getting this thread back on subject.

Rick

/ How do you fuel your tractor (logistics, not finding the cap to the tank)? #90  
No more fuel than I go through on the weekends I use a 5 gal can and a battery fuel pump from Lowes for filling Kerosene Heaters for mine. Works great and I don't end up making a mess, plus I have 3 of those new cans that the fuel won't pour out of, and it comes out fine with this little pump. Best of all it only uses 2 D batteries, about one set a year!