Charging mileage or transport fee.

/ Charging mileage or transport fee. #1  

minner

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab
Well its 2013 and fuel is $3.89 gallon. Most threads on the subject are 4 years old, or more, when fuel was under $2.00. So what are you guys charging for transport? I have kept my rates low but the smaller jobs <5 acres and double digit mileage(s) are killing me. Currently I am charging $1mile one way and no time. I know competition varies regionally, but fuel not so much, but what are you quoting?

To keep everyone on the same page lets do a math problem: :)
-2 hours of mowing (everyone assume $50hr)
-60 miles away (120 miles round trip)

For me its simply $50x2 + $60x1 = $160

I am thinking either upping my mileage to $2 one way OR charging "clocktime" when I leave. In contrast, that would come to ~$220

/ Charging mileage or transport fee. #3  
I don't see how you cam come out mowing for two hours when you are 60 miles away. If I had to do this it would be $240+tax, but if I could combine the work that could lower the cost.

/ Charging mileage or transport fee.
I don't see how you cam come out mowing for two hours when you are 60 miles away. If I had to do this it would be $240+tax, but if I could combine the work that could lower the cost.

I understand what you are saying but how did you arrive at that number ????

/ Charging mileage or transport fee. #5  
I understand what you are saying but how did you arrive at that number ????

Below $60/hr while working with small tractors you can't come out, too many costs. Trucks cost quite a bit to operate while towing trailers. I prefer to bid jobs in the $80/hr range as a rule. My utility company and grocery don't care if I am delivering a tractor or working the tractor and don't adjust their prices according to how well I did last week. Look at where you need to be annually, monthly and each day, maintenance time, driving time and operating time are all part of making a living and or profit.

/ Charging mileage or transport fee. #6  
I charge $2 a mile one way plus there is a minimum charge that covers the small jobs.

/ Charging mileage or transport fee. #7  
I have recently raised my transport charge from $1.00/loaded mile to $1.20/loaded mile. When I am mowing with my tractor I have this built into my rate/acre for jobs within 25 miles of home. I add $1.20/loaded mile for everything beyond 25 miles.

When doing skid loader work, I add 1 hr to the machine clock time for transport within 25 miles of home plus $1.20/loaded mile for anything beyond 25 miles.

The reason for the difference in the way I charge for transportation between mowing and skid time is because skid time is billed out by the hour ( most people expect this ). Most people around here want to know what the cost per acre is going to be for mowing so that is how I estimate their mowing job (with some riders for trash in the field, uneven terrain etc.).