Is there a "good" electric pressure washer?

/ Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #1  

Tags

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX2360/ Kubota SVL90-2/ Kobelco 115SR/ Takeuchi TB260
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured this would work. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a simple electric pressure washer, I've had two in the past, a Karcher and a Task Force 2000 from Lowes. I lent the Karcher to a friend who "just needed it for a few minutes" or hours apparantly, so he could wash his entire 3000 sq ft house, it came back dead. The Task Force still kinda works if you are into taking a bath while using it, at this point more water comes out of different parts of the machine than the wand. I use it very infrequently and when i do use it, it may be for an hour or so a couple times a year. So does anyone have any good experiences with any of these little electric pressure washers?

/ Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #3  
I had the same experience. Cheapo Lowes model broke after a few uses, and couldn't be fixed.

I found that yes, there are good ones - very satisfactory for those of us who don't want yet another gasoline engine to maintain. But you won't find them at Lowes and the like, and they are priced like real equipment.

I bought a Cam Spray 1450 four years ago and it's still going strong. I'm very satisfied with it. It's a 120 volt model on a stout cart with big wheels, so it plugs into a standard outlet and is easy to move about, but heavy if you need to take it up stairs to a high deck. I bought extra hose to avoid that.

The specs don't read that much better than the toys from the big box stores, but the performance is noticeably better. More importantly, it comes with a parts list, and you can actually get parts. When I broke a plastic knob it was simple and cheap to get a replacement.

I bought mine online, but there are some dealers that carry them if you live in a more metropolitan area than we do. There are other brands with similar models, offering several different cart configurations, and in 240 volt models if you need more power and are willing to deal with the need for a 240-volt power outlet.

Terry

Last edited:
   / Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #4  
I had one electric and wont ever buy another. It didn't have much power and after a few uses the little pressure switch that shut off the motor when it pressured up quit working. It would work till you shut off the trigger and then wouldn't come back on till you unplugged it an depressured it. I bought a gasoline powered one 10 or more years ago and it still starts with about 3 pulls. I drain all the gas out of it each time I use it, drain all the pressure hoses and use the pull start rope to pump all the water out of the pump when I store it for the winter. So far it still works great for 2400 PSI. I sometimes wish I had a bigger pump and if this one ever goes out, I will vie for a 3200 or so PSI.

/ Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #5  
I have had several electric units the best being a small unit sold by Deere about 30 years ago. I have had several of the Northern 5hp 230v units that have had short lives with moderate use. I would like to get a good electric to have at home but for now I use an engine driven unit.

/ Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #6  
weird. i've had a karcher for ? 10ys now... a elbow broke inside it at about 5ys of age and i took it apart. elbow was 35$ but i could it could be eliminated and drilled a 2nd hose exit hole in the casing, and was able to hook it back up minus the elbow.

still using it.

you guys must be hard on equipment. ;)

/ Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #7  
Great question; I'd like to find one too! I have both a Karcher and a garage sale Black and Decker.

The B&D is junk. The pressure switch in it quit, evidently due to mineral scale buildup, but I was able to disassemble/clean and re-grease it with silicone grease and make it function. About half of the screws holding all the plastic case parts and motor housing are stripped. The valve housing in the wand split. I very reluctantly parted with about $25 for a replacement "universal" wand, but the nozzle adapters on it leak.

The housing of the pressure switch on the Karcher cracked; probably froze despite my draining it and keeping it inside. Karcher parts are available, but are very pricey. I think the switch housing was about $15 for a small plastic part. The Karcher wand also split (the valve housing). A replacement part was available, but was something like $45, so it got a "universal" replacement also. Seems to be working ok now.

These smaller electrics are very convenient for smaller work, but they no not seem to be very reliable/durable. Maybe I need to find a "Cam Spray"!

- Jay

/ Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #8  
i agree the karcher parts are spendy. plus they hit you for shipping. a 15$ part can be 25$ hard to justify that on a 90$ washer.

I will say that now after 10ys, the hose on mine is starting to go.. when it goes I will simply repalce the unit vs put any $ into on that will be coming up on 11ys soon.

/ Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #9  
I have a karcher, it's about 6 years old and it works great. I was my car, tractor, and siding, so small jobs. The new one of mine is the karcher x series, and for a simple electric pressure washer, it's awesome.
Best,
Matt

/ Is there a "good" electric pressure washer? #10  
I have one that I love. It's an AR Blue, AR being Annov Reverbi or something like that, it's an Italian company. I believe it is 1800 psi and about 1.3 gpm or something close to that. It is very light weight, has a very long good quality electric cord, and I can use it without worrying too much about blasting paint off of something. It comes with a nice range of accessories including a turbo tip and a small disk for cleaning decks, etc.

It's great for my decks and docks i have some plastic railing at my lake house that it works well on. I have had it for two years and use it often. I would buy it again.