40 amp circuit breaker *EASY QUESTION*

/ 40 amp circuit breaker *EASY QUESTION* #1  

tomcase580b

Bronze Member
Tractor
case 580b
I have a case 580b ck
can someone please tell me what the 40 amp circuit breaker does.
What is its function.
Thank you.

/ 40 amp circuit breaker *EASY QUESTION* #2  
Not sure, but I would think a 40 AMP breaker would have something to do with the starting circuit. Or some type of heating circuit.
Can you follow the wires to give you a clue.
Ken

/ 40 amp circuit breaker *EASY QUESTION*
I'm sorry..It's definately for the starting circut….thats my problem..I'm trying to isolate the problem of my tractor not starting. the only way i can get it to start is by jumping the starter solynoid. I either have a bad button…bad key….bad breaker or bad wire somewhere…I want to test the breaker…but not sure how to do that

/ 40 amp circuit breaker *EASY QUESTION* #4  
A continuity test should let you know if it is working. As to if it is kicking out, not sure. I had to replace the one on my 480C. After checking Case's price, I went to a local auto parts store, and got a Buss brand, for a LOT less than Case is asking for them. An exact fit, and solved my problem.

Don't know if you have an Advance Auto parts in your local, but here is a link to them, showing the breaker, and price in my area. Buy Bussmann Circuit Breaker - 40 Amps BP/CBC-40HB-RP at Advance Auto Parts

I did a continuity test on it...it was reading high like 47 to 60...and because it was a reading above 25 the tester wouldn't beep. Besides that the manual states it should be a 40 amp breaker and its stamped 30 amp...I wonder if Napa would have them

/ 40 amp circuit breaker *EASY QUESTION* #6  
Thanks for the help... do you think that the reading I was getting means its good or bad

/ 40 amp circuit breaker *EASY QUESTION* #8  
I really don't have any idea. But guessing if someone replaced the 40a. with a 30a., it could be toast. Possibly, a jumper wire between the posts on the breaker would let you know for sure. Just give it a bump, not necessarily try to start it.

I tried taking the two wires off and touching them together...and I still get nothing...

/ 40 amp circuit breaker *EASY QUESTION* #10  
Do you have voltage to the circuit breaker..?? Sounds like you need to do some tracing. A simple test light should show you what you need to fix.

Here is a link to Case Construction, and the parts book for the 580B. Official Case Construction Equipment Online Parts Store and Parts Look Up. Parts for Case Equipment and Construction Equipment. Parts Store for Case Wheel Loaders, Case Excavators, Case Skid Steers, Case Original Parts. Click on the electrical, and it will show your wiring. I did notice there is a ballast resistor off the switch, that just seems to make a loop back to the switch, possibly feeding back to the starter circuit..??