Jd 4200 will not crank.

/ Jd 4200 will not crank. #1  

bertmyers

Tractor
john deere 4200
While trying to push over a stump with the loader my wife stalled the tractor and it will not crank over.
I jumpered the safety switch for the footpedals. The battery is good.
Hope this hasn't happened to anyone else but if it did can you help us out.
Thanks
Bert

/ Jd 4200 will not crank. #2  
Just check to be sure all your safety interlocks are ok. PTO lever bumped? Seat not sitting straight on brackets? Wire tore off clutch or hydro pedal? Sounds simple, from here at least.
Jim

/ Jd 4200 will not crank. #3  
When i did exactly the same thing, I found a branch jammed in the go pedal linkage which stopped it from returning to the neutral position. Had to walk back to the shop to get a set of snips to remove the branch. Might be another safety switch on those pedals someplace, or PTO linkage got moved ....
With someone on the seat, just in case, I would jumper the starter and see if it starts, then go from there.

/ Jd 4200 will not crank.
Just check to be sure all your safety interlocks are ok. PTO lever bumped? Seat not sitting straight on brackets? Wire tore off clutch or hydro pedal? Sounds simple, from here at least.
Jim

Thanks for your reply
I tried everything I could think of. I used the schematics from the manual.
I was messing with the park brake and it didn't seem right so I got looking around and
noticed a panel put in to make the cab fit better to the body and a slot cut in it for a toothed bracket was jammed against the wall of the panel. I removed the panel, reshape it and cut the slot wider and tried it and it worked great.
The park brake must be tied in with those safety interlocks.
Thanks again
Bert

/ Jd 4200 will not crank.
When i did exactly the same thing, I found a branch jammed in the go pedal linkage which stopped it from returning to the neutral position. Had to walk back to the shop to get a set of snips to remove the branch. Might be another safety switch on those pedals someplace, or PTO linkage got moved ....
With someone on the seat, just in case, I would jumper the starter and see if it starts, then go from there.

I finally got it fixed.
I tried all the safety interlocks and nothing.
I noticed that the park brake was jammed against a panel in the cab.
I removed the panel, straighten it out some more and made the slot
for the brake larger and it fixed the problem.
This has happened about four times in six years so it was very annoying when it would start again and
I would not know what I did to get it fixed.
Thanks for your reply to my problem.
Bert