Mowing Bush Hog wheel falls off

/ Bush Hog wheel falls off #1  

tkwh1970

Tractor
1948 Allis Chalmers WD
I have a John Deere 503 bush hog that I purchased used with a 1948 Allis Chalmers WD. My issue is when mowing, if I go over a bump or hole or up a small incline, the rear wheel on the bush hog falls off. I think there is something missing to hold said wheel on, but I have no clue what could be missing. Help please. Can send pictures of anything you need.

thanks in advance.

/ Bush Hog wheel falls off #2  
I just the wheel coming off OR is the entire wheel and "U" piece (that is connected to the frame) coming off as well?

it would help to post pics of the wheel off. Im sure someone here can help..

brian

/ Bush Hog wheel falls off #3  
My Woods brand hog has a roll pin holding the wheel assembly in place. If that roll pin were gone, the wheel could drop out.

/ Bush Hog wheel falls off
if we are talking about the same thing, there is no place for the roll pin, but I will double check.

/ Bush Hog wheel falls off #5  
A lot of them are held on with a large washer over the vertical shaft and then a cotter pin thru the shaft riding on the washer. Grease appropriately.

James K0UA

/ Bush Hog wheel falls off #6  
if we are talking about the same thing, there is no place for the roll pin, but I will double check.

If there is no hole for a roll pin or cotter pin, then does it have a groove around the top for an e-clip?

let me take a picture, that may be what it needs, I just don't know much about bush hogs.

/ Bush Hog wheel falls off #8  
A photo would be a BIG help. I Googled "John Deere 503 bush hog" and saw some photos there.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7961741

If the entire wheel and yolk comes off then it likely doesn't have a large cotter pin on top of the shaft that goes through the "pipe" that holds the shaft and yolk on. A washer should fit under the large cotter pin.

The rear wheel should also fall off when you lift the cutter (if you have a 3PH) on your A/C.

I had an old A/C WD45 for a while. Interesting tractor. I had to buy a separate set-up to get a 3PH. It has only two lift arms if my memory is correct. My sympathies. :).

EDIT: Geez guys, while I'm typing my response five guys responded!! Get out of my space!!! :laughing: :laughing:

ok, I think after looking at it, and scraping the crud off of it, eclip is right.