full throttle

/ full throttle #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
do you run your tractor at full throttle most of the time? i seem to always do cause im cutting or plowing. just wondering what everyone thought. i usually cut in 4th at full throttle and i thought about going to 5th and shaving some rpm.

/ full throttle #2  
I only run it at full throttle if I'm bush hogging, or if it has trouble doing what I'm asking it to do at lower rpms.

/ full throttle #3  
Depends on the tractor and how the throttle reacts. Plus, anything that has a PTO rating at 540 rpm should be run at the speed that produces that rpm. A mower that is run slower will not cut nearly as well.

The gear (4th or 5th) only affects the ground speed. The rpm is what properly runs the rotary mower when mowing.

Plowing requires a lot of HP. Running in 5th at slower speeds will cause lugging and possible engine damage depending on the ground.

My BX2200 has to be run at WOT to get 540 rpm at the PTO.
The L48 TLB is run at about half throttle for the BH. When transporting it is run in high gear at WOT. (and is still a dog)
The M7040 gets to 540 rpm at about 3/4 throttle.

Check the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page for more threads and ideas.

/ full throttle #5  
I only run NEAR full throttle for those pto implements that need 540 rpm (chipper & snow thrower). I'm around 2K rpm when disking or plowing. Otherwise, if I'm just going from point A to B its 1500 to 1700 rpm.

/ full throttle #7  
High Idle = full RPM. Full throttle is what the governor does to hold fast to that rpm against a load requiring the max torque the engine can support w/o bogging down to a significantly lower rpm. In doing this the governor feeds more fuel to each combustion event - up to the design limit. On a diesel, that limit point is full throttle.
larry

/ full throttle #8  
   / full throttle #9  
ive never ran at the 540pto speed speed on either 1 of my tractors an i dont intend to.i run anywhere from 1500 to 1800rpms depending on what im doing.

/ full throttle #10  
It's your tractor and you can use it anyway you want. If you are doing loader work or transporting things, it's whatever feels right. HOWEVER, when it comes to doing real work I can tell you what farmers do. If it's PTO work, run it at rated speed. Any kind of ground engaging, run it wide open in as high a gear as it will pull. I say this from experience growing up on a farm when you would get your butt kicked if you got caught not running at full throttle. Speed is time and time is money.