My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift

/ My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift #1  

Gary_in_Indiana

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket
My 4200\'s 3PH arms won\'t lift

I was changing implements and backed up to my finish mower and saw that my lower arms were too high after just dropping the rotary cutter. I used the control lever to raise and lower the arms to no avail, They actually raised fine but only lowered to where they had been (or maybe even not quite as low).

The problem, as I saw it, was that there was no down pressure so I created some. I got off the tractor seat and onto the arms and they came down.

They haven't moved since. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It's like the control lever isn't attached to anything but I checked as far as I could and everything looks to be attached and moving with the lever. Any thoughts as to what this might be and how big of a deal it might be to fix it?

/ My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift #2  
Re: My 4200\'s 3PH arms won\'t lift

Gary,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The problem, as I saw it, was that there was no down pressure so I created some. )</font>

My 4200 had no down pressure. The 4300 that I currently own has no down pressure. I don't think that any of the John Deere compacts have this feature. They depend on gravity and the weight of the lift arms to lower the three point hitch.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any thoughts as to what this might be and how big of a deal it might be to fix it? )</font>

Have you checked to see that the cable is actually moving the valve control arm (located on the rear of the tractor - left side)?

Is the power beyond (which supplies hydraulic pressure to the three point hitch) connected?

Is the gate valve which controls the speed of the implement drop closed all the way?

Do you have a third SCV and does it work?

Does the loader valve operate the loader?

I know that you've probably checked all this but it never hurts to 'think out loud'.

Jim

/ My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift #3  

When a tractor is new or very low hours, the arms will have to be pushed down by hand. After everything gets broken in then they will go down when the lever is lowered.

/ My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift

<font color="blue"> Have you checked to see that the cable is actually moving the valve control arm (located on the rear of the tractor - left side)? </font>

I checked from the lever end to make sure everything was connected there as far as I could check without tearing things apart. I'll have to check from the other end tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on this one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue">Is the power beyond (which supplies hydraulic pressure to the three point hitch) connected? </font>

Yes, as I said, the arms worked 100% perfect up until I got on one to lower them.

<font color="blue">Is the gate valve which controls the speed of the implement drop closed all the way? </font>

No, it's all the way open. I even opened and closed it a couple times after that to see if it made any difference. </font>

<font color="blue">Do you have a third SCV and does it work?</font>

I don't have one.

<font color="blue"> Does the loader valve operate the loader?</font>

Yes, it works fine.

I'm going to go out and check on that control arm cable connection. The more I think about the way it acts that sure sounds like a good place to look. I'll post what I find. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift #5  

Gary,

Have you considered asking your resident expert?

I forget what he helped you with on your tractor last time...remember?

I just remember your telling him it certainly wasn't THAT...and when he touched THAT the problem was solved... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wish I could be more help than this...which I am sure you are thinking [and I agree] is no help at all! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift #6  

Gary, I have had two different situations where I had trouble with the 3 point hitch. On my New Holland there is a valve that you can adjust how fast or slow the 3 point hitch is raised and lowered. That valve somehow got turned all the way in one direction. The other problem I have had is with my lever for the one rear remote that I added. If that rear remote lever does not get put back all the way in the center position then the 3 point will not lift. I don't know if your JD has a rear remote or a 3 point hitch speed adjustment but I thought I would post this information just in case.

/ My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift #7  

I had the same problem with my Golden Jubilee. After much looking around and checking the fluid level (about the extent of my mechanical abilities /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif), I walked to the rear of the tractor, grabbed a lift arm in each hand, and out of anger, frustration, or whatever, gave a mighty pull upwards. Would you believe it, the arms stayed up and the 3PH has worked fine ever since /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Now I'm sure things are slightly more advanced on your tractor and this probably won't work for you, but I'm betting you'll rush right out and try it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

/ My 4200's 3PH arms won't lift #8  

Gary,
You haven't added any new hydraulically operated implements that would have lowered the hydraulic level on your tractor, have you? Please don't ask how I know this can affect your 3pt operation. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

MarkV

My "expert" came up with a big zero like I did. His trick last time was the control knob for the speed of raising and lowering the rockshaft arms. THAT was checked more times than I'd care to admit. No new hydraulic stuff has been added. I'm convinced it's more 'mechanical' than 'hydraulic' since all my other hydraulics (including PS which runs from the same pump) work just fine. I'm going to take it to my local Kubota dealer just a mile down the road (Yes, my tractor is a Deere) and see what they think. I've been wanting to give them some money for all the free advice they've given me from day one and this could be my chance. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I took my tractor in to the local Kubota store today and they guys there got right on it thinking it would be a linkage problem they could fix quickly and get me out the door. A couple panels later they'd traced everything to the hydraulic case and from it to the arms themselves and found no problems on either end. Unfortunately, that means the problem is inside the case for the hydraulics. That is going to entail quite a bit more work so my tractor goes back into the regular line for repairs and will probably be out in a week.

Since I'm only without the 3PH and still have my FEL I may retrieve my tractor for the weekend and bring it back to them Monday since they don't run service Saturdays anyhow. I'll post when everything's fixed with what was wrong and how many dollars it was to make it right. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif