Greese Gun Tip

/ Greese Gun Tip #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I recently purchased a greese gun to lubricate my Kubota F2400. I noticed that the tip of the gun was very hard to push on & off the zerk fittings.

I just recently broke off one of the fittings when trying to remove the tip /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!

Is there a metric sized tip for Kubotas or are all tips "created equal?".

What kind of a tool can I use to get the remaining piece of zerk fitting out of my tractor?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ Greese Gun Tip #2  
You could try an "easy out". I did the same thing on mine and the "easy out" worked fine.

/ Greese Gun Tip #3  
I recently removed a broken zerk by tapping a square masonry nail into it and turning it out with a small wrench.................chim

/ Greese Gun Tip #4  
Hopefully you have a screw in zerk. A square shouldered easy out ought to do it. I believe there are metric fittings, specifically, British Standard Pipe. Since you didn't mention the fitting having a hex head on it to use a wrench on I'm thinking you have a press in zerk. Those can be a PITA. Your best bet on one of those is finding a screw you can thread into it and a slide hammer to knock it out. I've also heard of people threading them and then running a nut up a bolt that will fit the threads and then using a bigger nut and washer as a puller. You drop the washer on the bolt up against the threaded on nut, drop the bigger nut on the bolt and then thread the whole mess into the threads you've previously cut into the broken off zerk. Then you tighten the small nut against the washer and big nut, pulling the zerk out as you go. The big nut has to be big enough for the butt of the zerk to fit into as it's being pulled out. Clear as mud? The end of the grease gun fitting is threaded onto the fitting that screws onto the pipe or hose. The next time you grease, loosen the tip a little to make it easier to get on and off the zerks. If you have a plugged zerk you can always loosen the tip to install it on the zerk, tighten it once it's on so you don't push it off or have the grease run out the sides of the connection and then loosen it to remove. I ran out and took a couple of pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. This ought to save you from breaking another zerk.

Attachments

• 319875-IM000242.jpg
    319875-IM000242.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 413
   / Greese Gun Tip #5  
The first attachment shows the tip in the tightened position. This next attachment shows it unthreaded. I did it this way in case your tip was tighter than finger tight, we wouldn't want you loosening the whole mess! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Don't loosen it much more than you need to facilitate plugging it onto the zerk, there are little jaw- like parts in there that have a tendency to fly out and into hidden places if you totally unscrew the tip.

Attachments

• 319877-IM000243.jpg
    319877-IM000243.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 511
   / Greese Gun Tip #6  
They look just like valve stem keepers.

/ Greese Gun Tip #7  
The ring thing in the grease gun tip that "grabs" the zerk breaks in mine every other month. They sell them in auto parts stores for a buck.
Unscrew the gun tip and the broken one will fall out. No biggie.

/ Greese Gun Tip #8  
tractor supply sells a 90 degree fitting it has no grippers to tighten up it has a nylon slide tension device if you hold it right it works great. You might have a 4 prong claw instead of 3 so it'd be extremely tight might check that.

They make metric fittings though no one carries the right size normaly at least on my italian finishing mower.

/ Greese Gun Tip #10  
I have one of the 90 degree fittings that Lisle sells. I think it is the same one you describe. It is listed, if I remember correctly, for lubing some GM front wheel drives. I screwed a regular 90 degree zerk into the one I have so I could use the pipe on my grease gun instead of the hose. I use it to lube the idler and pitman arms on my Dodge. Since it's still relatively new it works well, we'll see how it works a year or two from now. I only use it on two zerks so maybe it will last forever. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif