Ballast Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor

/ Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor #1  

imported_kuma

Tractor
Kubota B2150 w/FEL
I am thinking about filling my front tires with water for better traction and lower center of gravity. The tire size is 6 x 12. I realize they wont hold a lot of water but since I live in the hills every bit helps. For some reason the tractor manual says its OK to load the rear tires but not the front? Anyone know why that us?

Thanks!

/ Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor #2  
Nope, but, that is a good question. It actually says do not load the front tires?

If you could take a couple minutes and fill out your profile please, that way we would know what kind and model tractor you have.

/ Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor #3  
I asked my Kubota dealer to fill the front tires of my BX and he said that it wasn't advised because it will throw off the weight distribution that is built into the tractor and would make it unsafe.... Told me that the tractors were designed to have all the weight added to the rear if weight were necessary to be added.... Guess that he knows what he is talking about since he has been in the business for 40 years..

/ Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor #4  
I have a New Holland TC 24D and when I purchased the tractor it was supposed to have all four tires filled. But the dealer forgot? to do the front even though the dealer told me that he always fill all the tires. Well when the front wheel fell of the tractor that was when I found it they were not filled. I went ahead and filled them myself and I can tell the difference on the slopes and increase in front traction is real nice. I do know that filled front tires puts more strain on the power steering but hey the tractor will live. Just turn the wheel a little slower or increase the power. If you have slopes you better have all your tires filled. It is dangerous enough venturing up and down slopes you need all help you can get!

George

PS: I AM NOT A NEW MEMBER
Can that counter be changed?

/ Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor #5  
Frequently manufacturers give you a list of "Do Nots" of equipment operation without listing the reason behind it (besides avoiding lawsuits...).

Sometimes the reason is to prevent damage to the equipment...

One of the tractor dealer told me that fluid sloshing around in the front tires during 4wd operation can cause damage to the drive components in the front axle.

Sometimes the reason is to prevent damage to the operator. I don't know if fluid in the front tires can create a hazardous situation or not (it seems unlikely).

In my case I don't know the real reason that you are not supposed to fill the front tires with fluid, but I decided that I don't know enough to go against the manufacturer's instructions.

Kelvin

/ Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor #6  
I had my front tires on my BX22 filled with Arnoc Superflex. Adds about 46 lbs. to each tire if I remember correct. When I ask the reasoning on why the book said not to fill the fronts the answer I got was. "I don't know why except the book says not to." I wanted the extra weight up front so I went ahead and had them filled.

Dave

/ Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor #7  
yes you can probaly add 50# a side or so tractorsmart.com has a weight table on filling sizes. It does help and lowers the loading on axles vs putting weight on the frame.

/ Filling 6 x 12 Tires on 4wd tractor #8  
I've always used wheel weights. Is the only advantage to water in the tires the fact that you save $$$, or is there more?