Wow!!!!

/ Wow!!!! #1  

Typhoon

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
I have put 70 hours on my NH TC29D, and im just now beginning to tap into the power this tractor has. I have been clearing out 25 acres of woods from a recent logging project, and, I cannot believe the size of some of the logs im able to pull out. Yesterday, I pulled a log out of the woods that I didnt think my tractor even had a chance at pulling. Probably around 25' long and probably around 2 foot in diameter. It's supposed to be just 29 horsepower, but dang im beginning to wonder if they didnt accidently drop a 100hp engine in on accident!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
IM impressed!!
-Brad

/ Wow!!!! #2  
Brad,

I don't know if you get Harbor Freight Tools catalogs, but I just saw a 3pt skidder in one of their books. It was a giant grappling hook contraption for the 3pt. I think it was around $1800. Possibly worth it if you're moving a lot of trees.

- Cort

/ Wow!!!! #3  
I gotta tell ya, these "little" tractors are pretty sweet! i've got 33hp and surprise myself on a daily basis. When I consider the size benefits around the farm, and the tight turning radius, I'm pretty darn pleased with my purchase decision!

Keep up the good "work" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Wow!!!! #4  
Congrats! You just accomplished what 2 mules can do....Got to tell you folks, in the '50/'60's folks that cut timber for sawmills "snaked" logs with 2 strong horses or a team of mules with something that looked like big ice tongs. At a good point of departure the logs were dragged over another smalllr 'pole' which left one end off the ground about a few inches. At his point, the guy with the Farmall H or M would pick up the logs with a contraption that had aircraft wheels and a hydraulic cable lift to fit around the bundle of logs (usually about 4 or so logs from 8 to 16 feet). This dude would high-tail it to the saw mill (up to a mile away) with the logs where he would drop them on the "skid" prior to the sawyer sizing up the log for lumber. Anyone else remember these things???? BobG in VA

/ Wow!!!! #5  
In about 1964, I remember my Dad with his JD Crawler with a loader on the back and a big old homemade trailer dragging the logs out to the road and piling them. Someone from the mill would them come along and scale them and they would be picked up by a semi and hauled away.

Steve

/ Wow!!!! #6  
My dad had a mill and logging operation when I was in grade and high school. Started out with a cross cut saw. THen a power chain saw. We used a winch truck and tongs. We had one place that was 300 feet to the bottom of the gulch. We then picked them up and loaded them on trucks. We finally went to a Cat crawler w/60 ton winch on the rear. It got real ticklish balancing the logs when loading them. The tongs worked real quick and easy pulling and loading the logs.

/ Wow!!!! #7  
Yeah, and remember the size of that chainsaw? About like a big microwave oven. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Steve

/ Wow!!!! #8  
Bob, Ibuilt a few arches like you described fr a friend of mine's portable mill operation. Dad had one several years ago his dad made that was used for logs and also was usued to hook lift and haul a 2 gang drag type disk.
What kind of winch was on the farm tractor, ours had a hand winch but the ones I built use a home built electric or hydraulic winch i make. My exgirlfriend dad has one arch that had 9 foot wagon whels on it from the mule logging days. Ive been promised them when they get rid of their barn.

/ Wow!!!! #9  
yep! i remember that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif thanks for reminding me how old i is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif