Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns?

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I have a 100+ small pine trees (2-4" diameter) I want to remove, some around my pond are not conducive to pulling out with a longer chain. I have a very heavy duty 3-point 2" trailer hitch adapter and my thought was using this with a short chain I could lift the pine stump out of the ground. Tractor is a large 36hp PTO CUTs with a Cat1.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #2  
Probably work if they're no bigger than that. Tree might land on you though.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #3  
If you raise the three-point up very high and then drive forward you risk rolling the tractor up and over. The pull down on the rear gives the back tires incredible traction and the tractor can rotate right over. So you need to be very careful. Years ago I tried pulling a really small (maybe 4") oak tree with a large tractor and pulled the chain in two. I was impressed with the strength of that 90HP utility tractor, and even more impressed with how well that tree was anchored. I ended up digging down a ways and cutting the tap root.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #4  

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 4,625
  • IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 2,097
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,175
   / Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #5  
If it were me, I wouldn't use the method that you described. Does your tractor have a Drawbar? You will be surprised at the root systems of even small trees. If you have a FEL, dig around the trees and pull with a chain or strap. How tall are the pines, what is the slope around your pond and exactly why are the trees not conductive by utilizing a short chain and not a longer chain? Pulling with the Drawbar is much safer, at least IMHO. Best wishes.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #6  
I can do 3 inch trees reliably with my 30 hp machine and a chain. 4 inches I often have to wiggle a bit. 5 and up require digging.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns?
Thanks for the replies, I have removed several trees using the both the drawbar and FEL. I stopped trying the FEL as it seems to cause to much wear and tear on the tractor due to "racking" caused by anything but a square lift attempt. The hook and pull method using the draw-bar works great as long as you have good access to the tree stump. This also prevents the tree branches from whacking you in the head :). None of these trees are over 12' tall and not a safety concern, think large xmas trees. The stumps currently giving me issue are on the side of the pond bank and I would prefer a controlled extraction by lifting up as I do not have clear access for the typical draw-bar approach. I guess my basic question is can I damage my 3-pt if I exceed the 2200lbs lift rating or by repetitive lifting?

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #8  
You should not be able to damage your three-point. It will by-pass through the pressure relief if you try to lift too much. Just be aware that when oil bypasses, it creates a bunch of heat. Not normally a problem as it is just momentary and you probably have 10 gallons of oil. But if you put a rig into a situation where you are up against the bypass for some time, that can eventually damage things. That is hard to do with normal use. Generally that happens when someone leaves a remote valve in a detent where it is flowing oil against a disconnected quick coupler....that sort of thing. That is a long winded way of saying it should not hurt your tractor. Just keep the shiny side up.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #9  
You could use Paul Bunyan's hammer.

PBhammerStumpPuller.jpg

or a slightly more mechanized version.

StumpPullerWheels.jpg

Bruce

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #10  
I have pulled many things in the method you describe.

There isnt much risk in damaging the 3PH, but there is a flip-over risk as others describe.

IF you are even asking about doing this, tells me you lack experience in doing it, and I would side with others that say dont attempt it, find another way.