What implement is this?

/ What implement is this? #11  
I have a working dump rake and actually use it on occasion. They work great for their intended purpose. Your wheels are both supposed to spin freely, but there is a trip mechanism that raises the tines to dump the load. Once the load is dumped, the tines return to their down position. I'm guessing something is froze up in the gearbox.

Joe

/ What implement is this? #12  
Notice the inner hub on the rake wheels? The inside is notched so that the trip mechanism tooth can engage and lift the tines. If the wheel is not turning the tripping mechanism may be rusted into the lift position.

The handle on the rake allows you to manually lift the tines and then lock them in place for transportation. The foot pedal is used to lift and then dump the tines. The dump is gravity. Pretty simple mechanics.

I have used them behind horses and also a small tractor and using a rope to the dump pedal.:D

The term "bunch" may have come from pulling a windrow into bunches for easier access to the hay.

/ What implement is this? #13  
Good Afternoon Tractorr,
Some good replies here, my grandfather used one just like that to both flip the hay for drying and also to gather the hay with his team of horses. What I didnt hear mentioned was that after the hay was gathered they manually had to laod the loose hay onto the wagons with hay forks...

When wagon was fully loaded, oh my aching back, he would back his team of horses and wagon into the barn to unload. I believe they had a grapple attached onto an I beam to hoist to the hay loft, talk about manual labor !!!

My grandfather had no electricity for many years on his farm, not until the late 40's I believe, but looking back, you were probablly happy to go to bed at sunset !;):)

/ What implement is this? #14  
We had one when we started farming back in '53. Raked the hay into rows and used the hay elevator to bring the hay up to the wagon. My uncle and I would then
distribute the hay on the wagon...

/ What implement is this? #15  
Scott, look at my avatar. That wooden thing was called a "Buckpole" and was used to gather up the hay bunches in the field. A stack was made by pulling it up on logs to the top and reversing direction of the pull. Logs had to be moved frequently.

Lots of other types of sweeps and lifts for making hay stacks.:D

/ What implement is this? #16  
Scott, look at my avatar. That wooden thing was called a "Buckpole" and was used to gather up the hay bunches in the field. A stack was made by pulling it up on logs to the top and reversing direction of the pull. Logs had to be moved frequently.

Lots of other types of sweeps and lifts for making hay stacks.:D

Good Afternoon Egon,
Ohhh my word talk about work !!! ;):):D

/ What implement is this? #17  
At this point there was not really hard work. That came later in the winter when the hay was hauled in for feed.:D

/ What implement is this? #18  
You don't understand the meaning of the word surprise until you have ridden a dump rake behind a B Allis Chalmers when the tongue broke. You will end up on the back of your head in a heartbeat.

/ What implement is this? #19  
Thanks for replies it is definitely a dump rake. Hopefully I can figure out why the left wheel would quit spinning. Maybe you have to lock the rake in place or something.

I have spent a lot of time with rakes like this and love how they work. Someday I am going to get one from my home place and bring it to where I live.

The left wheel locking is because the mechanism is not releasing. When you "trip" the rake a rod locks into the gears inside the hub of the wheel which lifts the rake tines. When the tines get to the full upright position the rod should release out of the gears and let the rake fall back down to start gathering again. I do not remember an adjustment on this but then it has been a few years. I do remember we oiled the inside of those hubs daily with used motor oil to keep the wear factor down and to keep them from locking up as yours is doing.