From which side do you mount your tractor?

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #31  
For me it was developing a habit to always climb on on the left...mainly because I have a gear tractor and as often as not I get off the tractor while it's running and I do not want to take a chance on bumping it into gear...likewise getting off because my shirt tails will catch the levers...

Safety habits are good to develop...they may cost you a little time but may save you on days when you're not at your best...!

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #32  
I really dont know why it ever became the custom to mount on only one side. The horse sure doesnt care

Quick historic note: The sword & scabbard is worn on the left (again, a shield is carried on the left arm) and would tangle you up if you mounted the horse from the other side. = traditional training.

PS: Don't get me started on "but what if I'm left-handed?" It doesn't matter. The right hand was the 'weapon' hand... it's why we shake hands (or salute) with our right hand = shows that we can be trusted as we're not holding a weapon. (Lefties were therefore always distrusted)

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #33  
When I had my CK20 I almost always got on and off the left because the loader control was in the way. One day at the end of a long day I was stretching fence with the tractor and the fence kept getting caught on roots. I would get off, walk around the tractor, loosen the fence from the roots and walk back around the tractor. After about the third time instead of getting off the left, i stepped off the right. As I was stepping off, my denim short pants leg got caught on the loader handle. I then fell / jumped the rest of the way off and in the process popped the loader handle out of the valve. I ended up having to load up the tractor and haul it nearly an hour to the dealer to get new upgraded parts installed on my loader valve and handle.
I have a different tractor now, but I get off the and on the left side.
RoMad, your post reminds me of a member on here who mentioned the time he was exiting on the right side of the tractor while wearing denim shorts. The joy stick went up his pant leg as he did a nice landing, on his head.

There are steps on both sides of my tractor, but it is easier to use the left side due to the loader valve stand being on the right. However, as I am only 145 lbs., it isn't a big problem.

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #34  
From the left of course, everybody know it will buck you off if you mount from the right! :D:D:D

Actually, from the left mostly, because there is more room on the left side with the loader stick on the right & no step. ~~ grnspot

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #35  
Quick historic note: The sword & scabbard is worn on the left (again, a shield is carried on the left arm) and would tangle you up if you mounted the horse from the other side. = traditional training.

PS: Don't get me started on "but what if I'm left-handed?" It doesn't matter. The right hand was the 'weapon' hand... it's why we shake hands (or salute) with our right hand = shows that we can be trusted as we're not holding a weapon. (Lefties were therefore always distrusted)

Has anybody ever seen a left-hand joy stick???? 90% left, 10% right for me.

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #36  
Left side for me much of the time, but i regularly get in from the right, but have to be careful of the fel lever. I sometimes mount from the rear (step up onto the 3pt or bh, then the top of the wheel then down onto the operator platform. Usually that method is reserved for some gymnastics when trying to reposition while using the backhoe...

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #37  
I find this thread very enlightening. I'm amazed at how many tractors seem to be so poorly designed that the controls get in the way of the operator mounting or dismounting on whichever side that seems the most convenient in a given situation.

Terry

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #38  
Has anybody ever seen a left-hand joy stick???? 90% left, 10% right for me.

:confused:

All of the FEL controls I have noticed have been on the right-hand side. Are there particular models that have them on the left-hand side?

Steve

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #39  
I find this thread very enlightening. I'm amazed at how many tractors seem to be so poorly designed that the controls get in the way of the operator mounting or dismounting on whichever side that seems the most convenient in a given situation.

Terry

Hardly a poor design if the controls are placed so they are within comfortable reach of a seated operator.

/ From which side do you mount your tractor?
Wagtail, I had always driven right hand (England, Australia, Scotland) before coming here 10 years ago so left hand mounting was not a subconscious driving thing. If you still go to the wrong side after 17 years, then I am in for more of those "moments" of going to the passenger side. I usually pretend to look at the front tyre when I realise my mistake.

Your other remark about hand-shakes is of course well known and all very well except in the case of a Highlander keeping a sgian dubh, often spelled skean dhu in English, in the top of his left stocking whilst wearing a kilt. It is a small knife. It appers it is now normal for the sgian dubh to be carried in the top of the right stocking. At my son's weedding I think I was the only one with it on the left.