From which side do you mount your tractor?

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #41  
I always saddle up from the left.
Don't never want to spook the tractor!

Last edited:
   / From which side do you mount your tractor? #42  
On my l45 I mostly get on the left side but if I'm on the right side I'll get on my there I'm young and don't mind jumping on and squeezing thru! But the left side is much easier because there is a step and nothing in the way

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #43  
On my old school fords I almost always exited and mounted from the right side but I also did the left when it was more convenient all depended on the circumstances because both sides were made equal. But on the new tractor with the loader controls I most likely use the left side, although I do use the right if it is more convenient because there is also a step on that side, I just have to be carful. Come to think of it I always or at least 99% of the time do the left side on the old ford 621 with the FEL because well my petite and slim body just don't want to clear the loader controls for some reason!:confused3:

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #44  
On my m95 I climb in from the left side because the loader joy stick blocks the right side. On my Allis 185 the steps are on the left side so that is the easiest side to climb up on.

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #45  
Hardly a poor design if the controls are placed so they are within comfortable reach of a seated operator.
The controls on my tractor are all in easy reach and still don't block entry/exit from either side. Seems like the inability to achieve that is a poor design to me.

I see many excavators use a control pod that swings back for operator exit, but clearly, based on what I have, that's not needed for tractors.

Terry

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #46  
Quick historic note: The sword & scabbard is worn on the left (again, a shield is carried on the left arm) and would tangle you up if you mounted the horse from the other side. = traditional training.

PS: Don't get me started on "but what if I'm left-handed?" It doesn't matter. The right hand was the 'weapon' hand... it's why we shake hands (or salute) with our right hand = shows that we can be trusted as we're not holding a weapon. (Lefties were therefore always distrusted)

An interesting anecdote on "salute". An old Marine once told me that saluting originated in medieval times when full body armor was worn. With the face being covered by a shield, you could not determine friend from foe, It became standard practice to raise your face shield with your right (sword) hand to show your face to another, thus the "salute".

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #47  
Only on the left on the JD 2030, the loader joystick completely blocks access from the right. Mostly on the left on JD 6415. The loader joystick is in the way for right side mount, dismount, but can be squeezed by if needed. It did not come with the steps or grab handle on the right side, but I added them.

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #48  
Left side because I took off the right side step and mounted a toolbox.

Attachments

• 100_0016.jpg
    100_0016.jpg
    878.1 KB · Views: 55
   / From which side do you mount your tractor? #49  
An interesting anecdote on "salute". An old Marine once told me that saluting originated in medieval times when full body armor was worn. With the face being covered by a shield, you could not determine friend from foe, It became standard practice to raise your face shield with your right (sword) hand to show your face to another, thus the "salute".

And that old Marine is correct. Raising the visor not only allowed indentification but left the 'raiser' vulnerable. The traditional 'Army' salute of an open palm faced outward further demonstates that there is no weapon being held. I have no idea when the US Army ceased that practice... opting for the Naval salute. :confused3:

/ From which side do you mount your tractor? #50  
The controls on my tractor are all in easy reach and still don't block entry/exit from either side. Seems like the inability to achieve that is a poor design to me.

I see many excavators use a control pod that swings back for operator exit, but clearly, based on what I have, that's not needed for tractors.

Terry
Loader controls typically are the impedement to RH side access. I see the tractor in your avatar has no loader.