Square Baler for Hay?

/ Square Baler for Hay? #71  
Woodbeef:

You are a veritable dictionary/encyclopedia of old farm implements /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Square Baler for Hay? #72  
Woodbeef,Daryl Thank you for your help, I shouldabought the baler even though i didnt have a machine bigenough to pull it. Lots of nice parts to use. The fella that bought it sas he will retire next year and i could give him the 100 dollars for it.
Theres an older fella here that does custom haying and hes building a pole barn for his square baler and wants me to figure out how to make it stationary and how to reprocess the round bales. I told thi i could build a track for it to run on and unroll the bales, but he wants total stationary. He says its eair to handle the rounds because a tractor doesnt come to work hung over. I missed a good buy at an auction last week from a haying srvice that was moving, they sold 1800 small square coastal bermuda bales for 300 bucks and about 500 fesque bales for 50 bucks. Well i gotta run, thanks for the help take care Taylor Lambert

/ Square Baler for Hay? #73  
Taylor:

We looked at some kind of setup for turning rounds into squares. It is a lot easier to round bale than square bale, no doubt.

Our main barn is about 300 feet long by about 100 feet wide, all concrete floor and heated.

We considered unrolling a round and feeding it into the square bailer right in the barn, but after a few beers it didn't seem feasible anymore. Besides, the exhaust from the tractor running the bailer would kill you with the doors closed!!!

I considered laying a sheet of 1/8" plastic on the floor, under the pickup tines of the square bailer, then feeding the round into the bailer that way. You would need a stand of some sort with a driven spindle to unroll the round and keep a steady flow of hay in the pickup tines. You would need a vari-speed drive on the unroller and would have to keep a close eye on the pickup.
Just some thoughts, probably wouldn't work anyhow.

/ Square Baler for Hay? #74  
The one advantage this fella has that I can see in his building is that he has 3 phase when it was a grain mill, and its got enough curent to run a 70 horse motor, i think I can stationary most things. He wanted to put a long pto shaft through wall and leave the tractor out side. Im with the electrics idea lol. Hes got a picture of a hydraulically fed hopper that kinda grinds up the big bales and feeds them to the square machine. Take care Taylor Lambert

/ Square Baler for Hay? #75  
   / Square Baler for Hay? #76  
That's a great idea. It's got my "juices" flowing.

Me thinks that I need to go out to the shop and sit down and do a little brain storming. At the drawing board of course.