Driving tractor on the highway

/ Driving tractor on the highway #31  
By wobble do you mean side to side? Or up and down?
Liquid should not cause an unbalance.
For shipping tires are aired up for stability. Since yours were fluid filled they should have also set the air pressure correctly.
IIRC rear bolts (center to axle) are 30mm 370 lb ft. Wheel to center 24mm 230 lb ft. These are socket sizes NOT bolt sizes.
I too would use a 6pt socket, no need for an impact socket, although heavier wall, they are made softer than regular sockets for impact use.
I also need to get a bigger torque wrench. My current one only goes to 300 lb ft.
My 6415 has filled rears and all are radials. It goes very smooth down the road at top speed.
My 2030 has 16.9 - 28" rears, filled and bias. It's front bell crank is so worn it has very loose steering and will go into a death wobble at speed if it hits a dip or bump in the road. Slowing is the only way to stop the wobble. I no longer "road" it at full speed.

If you have a loader also check it's mounting bolts.

/ Driving tractor on the highway
By wobble do you mean side to side? Or up and down?
Liquid should not cause an unbalance.
For shipping tires are aired up for stability. Since yours were fluid filled they should have also set the air pressure correctly.
IIRC rear bolts (center to axle) are 30mm 370 lb ft. Wheel to center 24mm 230 lb ft. These are socket sizes NOT bolt sizes.
I too would use a 6pt socket, no need for an impact socket, although heavier wall, they are made softer than regular sockets for impact use.
I also need to get a bigger torque wrench. My current one only goes to 300 lb ft.
My 6415 has filled rears and all are radials. It goes very smooth down the road at top speed.
My 2030 has 16.9 - 28" rears, filled and bias. It's front bell crank is so worn it has very loose steering and will go into a death wobble at speed if it hits a dip or bump in the road. Slowing is the only way to stop the wobble. I no longer "road" it at full speed.

If you have a loader also check it's mounting bolts.

Honestly, the tractor is not really wobbling down the road in any real concerning fashion. It's just a little "limp" feeling at times. Does that make sense? Kind of like it limps down just a bit back and forth as the wheels go around. And when I look down at the wheels as they are turning (this time around 12mph), I can just see a little out of balance. But I think it's all "within spec" for a tractor tire like this after reading most everyone else's experiences.

I did call yesterday to confirm that the rear bolt is 30mm socket, but thank you for chiming in on that! I bought one at Sear's yesterday, and I am just going to check all the rear bolts "German style" until I can get a bigger torque wrench - just to make sure they are all safe.

Like I said, I will be back on the road a bit this weekend driving... I'll get some video and post it up here! :thumbsup:

/ Driving tractor on the highway #33  
Honestly, the tractor is not really wobbling down the road in any real concerning fashion. It's just a little "limp" feeling at times. Does that make sense? Kind of like it limps down just a bit back and forth as the wheels go around. And when I look down at the wheels as they are turning (this time around 12mph), I can just see a little out of balance. But I think it's all "within spec" for a tractor tire like this after reading most everyone else's experiences.

I'll wager what you're experiencing is more of a bobbing or seesaw motion. I've had three Deere tractors and all three have been on roads. My first tractor, an old 670 compact, went on a 10 mile (one way) drive and it did "seesaw". My 790 did as well, especially if the FEL was mounted. My current 4400 isn't too bad, and I attribute that to it having turf tires.

I'll wager what you're experiencing is more of a bobbing or seesaw motion. I've had three Deere tractors and all three have been on roads. My first tractor, an old 670 compact, went on a 10 mile (one way) drive and it did "seesaw". My 790 did as well, especially if the FEL was mounted. My current 4400 isn't too bad, and I attribute that to it having turf tires.

Bobbing is a great description. That's pretty much exactly what it did. Thanks for pinpointing that for me!

/ Driving tractor on the highway #35  
Was the tractor in 4wd by any chance? that will make it feel funny as the different ground speed of the front tires and the back tires cause a jump every 3-5 rotations. Should always run in 2wd on hard surfaces for that reason. Not a huge deal, but it will wear tires and drive line faster if you forget (like I have !).

/ Driving tractor on the highway #36  
Was the tractor in 4wd by any chance? that will make it feel funny as the different ground speed of the front tires and the back tires cause a jump every 3-5 rotations. Should always run in 2wd on hard surfaces for that reason. Not a huge deal, but it will wear tires and drive line faster if you forget (like I have !).

My thoughts as well.....
Can't imagine any bolt on a tractor that requires over 400ftlbs. I know I wouldn't want to be involved with it.....

Negative. I have an idiot light on my dash that lets me know when I'm in MFWD. :D

My thoughts as well.....
Can't imagine any bolt on a tractor that requires over 400ftlbs. I know I wouldn't want to be involved with it.....

The rear wheel-to-axle bolts on the 16.9x28's on my JD require 406ftlb of torque per the owner's manual.

Also, I drove probably 15 miles on the tractor last night.

It either rode a lot better than last time, OR I just wasn't as picky about the ride quality after reading a lot of the comments here. I will side with the latter. ;)

I did put a few more pounds of air in each of my rear tires... not sure that would have made any big difference.

/ Driving tractor on the highway #39  

we had a 4wd tractor that could not run radials because of "power hop" (what we called this phenomenon). basically we were told that even though the front to rear sizes were the same, the front axle "turned just a little faster(lead) and would distort the lugs of the front tire and make the tractor "jump" when the lugs returned to normal shape.
With bias plys it would "hop" enough the you could not put you back into the seatback on the road or you would have a sore neck QUICK! with radials it could bounce the tractor off the road!

/ Driving tractor on the highway #40  
Also, I drove probably 15 miles on the tractor last night.

It either rode a lot better than last time, OR I just wasn't as picky about the ride quality after reading a lot of the comments here. I will side with the latter. ;)

I did put a few more pounds of air in each of my rear tires... not sure that would have made any big difference.

Is it possible it's just a case of "new tractor paranoia"? Dunno if this is a new one for you or what, but I've erred on the side of caution and convinced myself that doom was impending when a new machine was making unusual (to me) sounds. So far, knock on wood, there has been no doom for me! ;)

By the way, loose lug nuts can make it wiggle too. But there is often a squeek from the steel rims wiggling on the hubs. For me, every time there has been a squeek, it's been loose lugs. Small sample size, but you may want to keep it in mind.