Driving tractor on the highway

/ Driving tractor on the highway #1  

econometrics

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i
Last night was the first time I've really gotten out on the road with my tractor. We did a hayride for my daughter's bday with some friends, and we probably went about 5 miles total.

I wasn't more than a 1/2 mile from home, going about 10-12mph when I noticed a little wobble in the tractor as we were going down the road. It was pretty slight, and looking down at the rear tires, I could tell there was a little unbalance there.

Then, looking at the front MFWD tires, I could see a little bit of unbalance in the rims, too. But the tires themselves didn't seem to be wobbling too much.

Hopefully I am explaining myself clearly here.

My question is... is this pretty normal when driving a tractor on the road at higher speeds? I thought maybe the rear tires seemed a little unbalanced because of them being filled with antifreeze / water?

I have 12 hours on my 5075E, so I want to make sure nothing's off here.

Thanks!

/ Driving tractor on the highway #2  
Most farm tires I have experience with [ non-radial for me so far ] can have a little run out. They are mostly made for traction and I am sure they try to get them round as possible, but not like a passenger car tire. I would think the rims would be fairly well made and not wobble. But have never noticed this, probably since the tires are so off... :)

/ Driving tractor on the highway
Most farm tires I have experience with [ non-radial for me so far ] can have a little run out. They are mostly made for traction and I am sure they try to get them round as possible, but not like a passenger car tire. I would think the rims would be fairly well made and not wobble. But have never noticed this, probably since the tires are so off... :)

Haha, that's good to know then. I didn't expect it to ride like a Cadillac, but I suppose I was a little insecure about it because I moved a monster root ball on Friday night, and it seemed to really max my FEL and front tires out. So, of course, I got concerned that all that weight did something to the balance of the wheel. :D

Next time I'm out on the road, maybe I can take a video and post it up here for some analysis.

/ Driving tractor on the highway #4  
My JD 2240 has 16.9X28 R1's on the rear and hop a little at speed. Add to that the uneven road surface, the spring in the seat, the little loose steering, no ROPS/seatbelt, and it is fun zooming down the road. Just be carefull and enjoy...!!!! :)

/ Driving tractor on the highway #5  
I seldom go on paved roads but when I do I'm a little more taken up with large chunks of cow poo and mud coming off the tires. Its a game of dodge blob. If your tires run true on the pavement its sure not by the design of the manufacturer. Tractor tires are designed for traction!!

My JD 2240 has 16.9X28 R1's on the rear and hop a little at speed. Add to that the uneven road surface, the spring in the seat, the little loose steering, no ROPS/seatbelt, and it is fun zooming down the road. Just be carefull and enjoy...!!!! :)

Same rear tire size on my 5075. Glad to know this is pretty common, ha! I haven't been on a tractor on the road since I was with my grandpa and uncle in their 4240 running from corn field to corn field in Minnesota back in the 1990's!

I seldom go on paved roads but when I do I'm a little more taken up with large chunks of cow poo and mud coming off the tires. Its a game of dodge blob. If your tires run true on the pavement its sure not by the design of the manufacturer. Tractor tires are designed for traction!!

:laughing: yeah, at least I can comfort myself that I wasn't flinging "fertilizer" onto my hayriding guests behind us!

Thanks for the posts so far, all. I'm feeling better now knowing this is normal! :thumbsup:

/ Driving tractor on the highway #8  
Did you check the tire lug nuts or bolts to make sure they were tight? If your tractor only has 12 hours on it it shouldn't do that, that's just my opinion. My older 1950's tractors don't even do that, but the rims have been changed out. Yea I would check and tork the wheels sometimes they do come loose.

Did you check the tire lug nuts or bolts to make sure they were tight? If your tractor only has 12 hours on it it shouldn't do that, that's just my opinion. My older 1950's tractors don't even do that, but the rims have been changed out. Yea I would check and tork the wheels sometimes they do come loose.

I am going to do that this week, as it is part of the 10 hour service specs in the owner's manual, yes. Good thinking.

Just need to get a new torque wrench that can ratchet up to 450ftlb!

/ Driving tractor on the highway #10  
Just use German tork! GOOD AN TIGHT YA!