Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysisson View Post
    What do you do when your bucket won't roll back enough to fill, see pic. Lucky for me I don't move piles of mat'l often.

Attachment 342746
    One applies some lift while applying rollback at the same time to fill the bucket with dirt. But not any higher than the top of the hood. Sticks are another matter. You use your grapple for them.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D, Kubota SVL90-2 CTL

Travel time does have a lot to do with it, but there are also a lot of things to think about (and master) while you're digging into that pile. If you want to be efficient, you have to minimize unnecessary movements, hit every bucket load wheels-straight, and keep the pile and ground area around the pile neat and tidy, so you're not bouncing around like a dork. If you're loading trucks, some of this can be done by the way that you hit the pile for the next bucket load, but most of it is done in the few seconds that you have between trucks.

If you're just doing general material moving (from a stockpile), you can still save time and insure a full bucket by the angle of attack on the pile. When it's possible, hit the pile from the narrow side. Anytime you can create a material shape that's narrower than the bucket, you'll use less effort to fill it up. Don't always try to lay the bucket on the ground and push into a pile either. The material higher up is typically less compacted and less effort is required to fill 'er up.
    John

My Work & Stuff Photo Thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...to-thread.html

John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by RaydaKub View Post
    Crap. That let's me out right there. I wish I *NEEDED* to move dirt for hours at a time.
    Well strip off 13-18 inches of top soil over an area 80150 feet and stock pile it. Then dig enough fill dirt to raise that area up 12" over the original level on one side and 48" on the other to make a flat pad for a pole shed. That aught to keep the tractor and bhoe seat warm for a few hours... it did mine!

Tractor
    Bobcat V417 Toolcat 5610 F TORO+Loader

john_bud thanks for doing the math!

This is what a very full 1 cu yard bucket looks like.
    To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-p3200002-jpg

This is how it got that way with one stab.
    To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-p3200020-jpg To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-p3200022-jpg To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-p3200023-jpg
    Hold "Ctrl" (Control) and click on a picture or a Link, to open it in a new Tab.

My Avatar, the TORO+Loader:
    Kwik-Way FEL and TORO Groundsmaster Put Together

V417 Compact Telehandler: ​(This replaced my tractor): http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...ml#post3243370

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by jimmysisson View Post
    What do you do when your bucket won't roll back enough to fill, see pic. Lucky for me I don't move piles of mat'l often.

Attachment 342746
    Looks like you have a serious design problem, but still could be able to get a full bucket but maybe not a rounded bucket full unless you have a large pile to pick from.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Travel time is everything. As others have already mentioned. But I typically dont have any issues getting a full bucket with either the 4wd kubota OR the 2wd BH.

My dilemma comes in as either using the BH with a 1-1/8 yard bucket, or using the kubota with 1/3-1/2 yard bucket.

Again, travel time is important. But when moving piles short distances (5 seconds or less) and or spreading out piles, the kubota is actually faster than the big cumbersome hoe. I can easily do 3 loads on the bota for every 1 on the hoe. Maybe more.

But any distance at all, the hoe is king.

But then again, if only moving a short distance, I can use the hoe. With a 20+ foot reach, and 185 degree swing, I can move dirt 40' with the backhoe. And having a 1/2 yard bucket (maybe 3/4 yard heaped), that is even faster yet for short moves.

Honestly, I never really give it much thought. I just hop on whatever I feel like driving for the day

Believe it or not, each backhoe scoop is more dirt than the kubota load, even though it sure dont look like it, the backhoe is about 1.5x's more dirt

To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-img_20130824_115421_309-jpgTo top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-img_20130826_112329_533-jpgTo top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-img_20130826_144511_123-jpgTo top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-img_20130826_144604_425-jpg
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

You should also consider that more "trips" means more cycling of the loader meaning more wear, also if it is gear, then more clutch wear. I would have to assume more fuel as well.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    john deere

Roll into the dirt nice easy and gently roll bucket back and forth , don't spin wheels . Kind of like removing the brassiere on high school sweetheart . Let the tractor do the work .

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by kevin37b View Post
    Roll into the dirt nice easy and gently roll bucket back and forth , don't spin wheels . Kind of like removing the brassiere on high school sweetheart . Let the tractor do the work .
    ....wait a minute... rolling in the dirt...removing brassiere's ... hold on.. do I have this right?
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Quote Originally Posted by Xfaxman View Post
    john_bud thanks for doing the math!

This is what a very full 1 cu yard bucket looks like.
    To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-p3200002-jpg

This is how it got that way with one stab.
    To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-p3200020-jpg To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-p3200022-jpg To top off the loader bucket or not?  That is the question.-p3200023-jpg
    That looks like more than a 1 yd bucket!

And another thing... where the heck are all your rocks and roots? If I was digging in that stuff, I'd think I died and went to pure soil heaven!!
    Now here's some of our pure soil.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast