Loader To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question.

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #11  
What do you do when your bucket won't roll back enough to fill, see pic. Lucky for me I don't move piles of mat'l often.

View attachment 342746

One applies some lift while applying rollback at the same time to fill the bucket with dirt. But not any higher than the top of the hood.:) Sticks are another matter. You use your grapple for them.:D

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #12  
Travel time does have a lot to do with it, but there are also a lot of things to think about (and master) while you're digging into that pile. If you want to be efficient, you have to minimize unnecessary movements, hit every bucket load wheels-straight, and keep the pile and ground area around the pile neat and tidy, so you're not bouncing around like a dork. If you're loading trucks, some of this can be done by the way that you hit the pile for the next bucket load, but most of it is done in the few seconds that you have between trucks.

If you're just doing general material moving (from a stockpile), you can still save time and insure a full bucket by the angle of attack on the pile. When it's possible, hit the pile from the narrow side. Anytime you can create a material shape that's narrower than the bucket, you'll use less effort to fill it up. Don't always try to lay the bucket on the ground and push into a pile either. The material higher up is typically less compacted and less effort is required to fill 'er up.

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question.
Crap. That let's me out right there. I wish I *NEEDED* to move dirt for hours at a time. :(

Well strip off 13-18 inches of top soil over an area 80×150 feet and stock pile it. Then dig enough fill dirt to raise that area up 12" over the original level on one side and 48" on the other to make a flat pad for a pole shed. That aught to keep the tractor and bhoe seat warm for a few hours... it did mine!

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #14  
john_bud thanks for doing the math! :thumbsup:

This is what a very full 1 cu yard bucket looks like.
P3200002.JPG

This is how it got that way with one stab.
P3200020.JPG P3200022.JPG P3200023.JPG

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #15  
What do you do when your bucket won't roll back enough to fill, see pic. Lucky for me I don't move piles of mat'l often.

View attachment 342746
Looks like you have a serious design problem, but still could be able to get a full bucket but maybe not a rounded bucket full unless you have a large pile to pick from.

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #16  
Travel time is everything. As others have already mentioned. But I typically dont have any issues getting a full bucket with either the 4wd kubota OR the 2wd BH.

My dilemma comes in as either using the BH with a 1-1/8 yard bucket, or using the kubota with 1/3-1/2 yard bucket.

Again, travel time is important. But when moving piles short distances (5 seconds or less) and or spreading out piles, the kubota is actually faster than the big cumbersome hoe. I can easily do 3 loads on the bota for every 1 on the hoe. Maybe more.

But any distance at all, the hoe is king.

But then again, if only moving a short distance, I can use the hoe. With a 20+ foot reach, and 185 degree swing, I can move dirt 40' with the backhoe. And having a 1/2 yard bucket (maybe 3/4 yard heaped), that is even faster yet for short moves.

Honestly, I never really give it much thought. I just hop on whatever I feel like driving for the day:laughing:

Believe it or not, each backhoe scoop is more dirt than the kubota load, even though it sure dont look like it, the backhoe is about 1.5x's more dirt:confused2:

IMG_20130824_115421_309.jpgIMG_20130826_112329_533.jpgIMG_20130826_144511_123.jpgIMG_20130826_144604_425.jpg

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #17  
You should also consider that more "trips" means more cycling of the loader meaning more wear, also if it is gear, then more clutch wear. I would have to assume more fuel as well.

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #18  
Roll into the dirt nice easy and gently roll bucket back and forth , don't spin wheels . Kind of like removing the brassiere on high school sweetheart . Let the tractor do the work .

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question. #19  
Roll into the dirt nice easy and gently roll bucket back and forth , don't spin wheels . Kind of like removing the brassiere on high school sweetheart . Let the tractor do the work .

....wait a minute... rolling in the dirt...removing brassiere's ... hold on.. do I have this right?:D

/ To top off the loader bucket or not? That is the question.