Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #1  

Hatman Tractor

Tractor
2013 Hustler Super Z 60" w/35 hp Kawasaki, 2003 John Deere X485 w/25 hp Kawasaki DF EFI engine
Has anyone had a problem with your machine backfiring after shut down. My machine has done it since I have had it starting at 1.6 hours, and granted I haven't had it long now just about a month it is aggravating for the thing to back fire at shut down. :mad: I've had several other machines with a Kawasaki engine and they never back fired any, any idea's would help Kawasaki doesn't deal with the public and the dealer says there isn't anything that can be done but something is causing this headache. :confused:

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #2  
I have a 2013 Super Z with the 35 HP Kawasaki.
It does the same thing. Backfires at shutdown.
It doesn't bother me any. I've come to expect it at shutdown.

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #3  
Try shutting it down at half throttle ,about 2000-2500rpm,it usually stops it....

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #4  
the reason it backfires is when you turn the switch off there is still fuel in the cylinder. allways cut the throttle down as low as possible and let it idel for about 15 seconds and then turn it off. this has worked for us in the past on both kawasaki and briggs engines.

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #5  
Have a friend with a Kohler in a Kubota lawn tractor, does the same thing , even with a cool down before shutdown.

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #6  
Have a friend with a Kohler in a Kubota lawn tractor, does the same thing , even with a cool down before shutdown.

Sounds like the exhaust valve is sticking open or is burnt. Maybe?

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #7  
All those things make no difference.
Shutting down at half throttle is a loud backfire.
I always shut mine off at idle. Backfires.
I can let it idle for several minutes. Backfires at shutdown.
Nature of the beast I guess.
As long as it runs good, I can live with the backfire at shutdown.

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #8  
My Briggs on my zero turn always backfires no matter what once the engine is warm

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #9  
Check your manual and see what it says. My zero turn did that until someone on the forum said to shut it down at 3/4 throttle because there was a low idle fuel delivery system that causes the backfire. I checked my manual and sure enough they recommended the same thing. I've alway dropped an engine to idle for shut down but my Kawasaki wants to be shut down at 3/4 throttle.

MarkV

/ Backfires after shut down 2013 Hustler Super z 35 hp Kawasaki #10  
My little Toro ZTR with a 15 hp Kohler was bad about backfiring when I shut it off, but after some experimenting, I finally figured out a way to stop that. The dealer told me to shut it off at full throttle and the manual says, "Move the throttle lever to between Fast and half throttle." That's only enough information to work for a cold engine, not one fully warmed up (on mine, at least). Supposedly, no damage is done when it backfires, but I not only don't like the sound, but figure it sure isn't helping the engine any.

However, now when I stop, I pull the throttle back to idle, wait 5 to 10 seconds, then shove the throttle full open and turn the key off immediately. No more backfire, ever, with that method.

Try it. I think you'll like it, but no guarantees with other engines.;)