Cutting trees after Isabel

/ Cutting trees after Isabel
MossRoad, Clint, thanks for the tips. My wife agreed to try to find a used tennis racket for me so when I finally get to using the tricks you mentioned, I'll be sure to use the wet blanket or canvas to tame the "whip". Beats using plywood behind the pickup window.

/ Cutting trees after Isabel #32  
<font color="blue"> I'll be sure to use the wet blanket or canvas to tame the "whip". Beats using plywood behind the pickup window. </font>

There is no doubt on my mind that the wet blanket is a great idea and that it will work provided that you hang it on your side of where the line breaks.

I think it would take a minimum of two blankets, one around the mid point of the rope, and one at the 1/4 point behind my truck, before I would do away with that plywood [if then].

With my luck I would hang the blanket at the midpoint and the rope would break under the blanket, and the blanket would fall to the ground while each half of the rope whipped in opposite directions!

I guess my question to those with experience is: Where is the best place to hang that blanket? About a third of the way from the truck to the tree? Midpoint in the rope? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cutting trees after Isabel #33  
A rule of thumb is a little past where you expect to end up during winching. Generally speaking, one isn't going to winch all the way up to the bumper everytime.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the blanket method does have a flaw. If one misjudges where the blanket needs to go, it's now a hinderance because one should unload the line before approaching it.

A loaded line that breaks will maim or kill anything in it's flight path. Powerful forces at work here, Respect them.