Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 2520 CUT

Default Re: Cotton picking these days.

JD 2520CUT; 62D MMM; 200CX FEL W/61" Bucket; Rhino 148 Cutter; 1800# Forks

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

That's a really great video. It's wonderful to see such efficiency. I would say that one fourth of the cotton is wasted around here and left on the plant. Sometimes you wonder if the field was harvested, there's so much left.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

I am a northern boy raised on a farm with corn, soybeans, alfalfa, wheat and oats. When I was a kid the largest combines around were the JD 7700. These handled a 6 row cornhead easily. Today's monster machines handle a 12 row head just as easily with double the yield. The pickers in this video appear to be on a par with the combines I see in fields today, but yet they only harvest 6 rows at a time. I'm just curious why that is. I know nothing about cotton farming. Is cotton that much more difficult to get into the machine?

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Doing some checking, I believe the pickers are JD 7760s. You can pick a new one up in Texas for only $655K (http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...760&mdlx=exact).

Steve

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by Daver1963 View Post
    But safer I'd imagine. Growing up it seems we heard at least once a year, if not more, of a man, woman, or child, that was suffocated because while waiting for the next dump of cotton into the trailer they laid out and took a nap. The operator didn't check and dumped a load of cotton on them.
    I admit, it was fun doing flips and dives off the side of the trailer into that soft fresh picked cotton.

You forgot the fun of the once-a-day mad rattlesnake dumped in the trailer with the cotton.

Bruce

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    A little of everything

Quote Originally Posted by smstonypoint View Post
    Doing some checking, I believe the pickers are JD 7760s. You can pick a new one up in Texas for only $655K (http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...760&mdlx=exact).

Steve
    Yes sir, they are not cheap. CaseIH has a version also, which builds a mini module. They cost about the same. It's nice to have 650k ride that you only drive a few months a year.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H, JD X540

Steve
    Deere website shows the base 7760 is closer $800K list and that is with no bells and whistles....
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD X540

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    A little of everything

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    You forgot the fun of the once-a-day mad rattlesnake dumped in the trailer with the cotton.

Bruce
    Never had a rattlesnake in a cotton trailer, but I have had them dumped on me in a peanut trailer. They are usually skin alive by the time they come through the picker and not to happy to meet you in the trailer.

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    Deere website shows the base 7760 is closer $800K list and that is with no bells and whistles....
    The picker I cited was listed as a 2012 model: Stk #: CONSIGNMENT; 3 Hours; 500 hp; NEW NEVER USED! HAS POWERGUARD COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE FOR 36 TOTAL MONTHS OR 1000 TOTAL HOURS.

I don't have a clue as to how much JD dealers discount such large ticket items. Also, would EPA regulations (i.e. Tier 3 vs. 4) explain a price increase for the 2013 models?

Steve

Tractor
    Kubota L2800DT w/LA524 FEL, Cub Cadet XT1

This clip reminded me of a scene in The Heat of the Night, one of my favorite movies -- Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier are driving to the home of a wealthy plantation owner and pass a cotton field that is being picked by hand. Remembering that scene and the accompanying music make me want to order a DVD of the movie.

I'm sure that the hand-picking was for dramatic effect -- any substantial acreage would have been mechanically harvested at the time the movie was set.

Steve
    The movie was made in 1967 so I'm not so sure that was for dramatic effect. In those days the fields often had to be picked twice with a mechanical picker and only once with human pickers. It might have been cheaper to have people do it.
    Machines are much better today.
    DaveR

If a wire wasn't shorted it wouldn't work. What you have is an intermittent open!

Electronics is smoke and magic. If you let the smoke out of something it doesn't work anymore - the magic is getting the smoke back in.

County Line 6ft finish mower, King Kutter 5ft bush hog, King Kutter 4ft tiller, King Kutter Carry-All,
    King Kutter 60" Box Blade, Ferguson 12-AO-40 2-bottom plow, County Line Middlebuster, Home built pine needle rake.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast