Tires Massey Ferguson 1526 hard starting

/ Massey Ferguson 1526 hard starting #1  

LB7DURAMAX

Tractor
MF 1526, MF12,MF14,MF16
I just picked up a brand new Massey Ferguson 1526. It seems to be temperamental when starting at cool temperatures. It's dropped down to about 32 degrees at night and when I start it it's about 42 degrees. I've waited about 30 seconds plus for the glows plugs and try to start. It starts and dies almost immediately, then once again the same thing. On the third go round it starts, a little smokey and erratic then about five seconds it's running good. I know it's a diesel but come on it's not zero degrees out either. I am going to invest in a plug to preheat. I wonder if anyone else has this model and how does yours start in temperatures like this or do I need to take it back to the dealer and see if there's an issue. Thank you for any input.

/ Massey Ferguson 1526 hard starting #2  
Give it some throttle, you are cycling the glows, right?
After a few seconds at high idle, will run fine.

/ Massey Ferguson 1526 hard starting
I have not tried to cycle the glow plugs. I let them go for about 30 seconds only once and try to start. I do cycle them in my truck when it's real cold out and it does seem to help. It just seems to warm out for this. I guess each diesel engine brand has it's own quirks.

/ Massey Ferguson 1526 hard starting #4  
I have not tried to cycle the glow plugs. I let them go for about 30 seconds only once and try to start. I do cycle them in my truck when it's real cold out and it does seem to help. It just seems to warm out for this. I guess each diesel engine brand has it's own quirks.

Feather the foot throttle when you start it. Our 1523 was the same way from the day we got it. When we upgraded to the 1635, starts better.

I will try that. Thank you for your help! I let you know how things work out.

I have not. I just picked up the tractor last Tuesday. I still have to order it and I'm going to get a parts book while I'm at it. Very handy book to have!

/ Massey Ferguson 1526 hard starting #8  
I have not. I just picked up the tractor last Tuesday. I still have to order it and I'm going to get a parts book while I'm at it. Very handy book to have!

If you plan on doing your own services, etc, get the service manual too, worth their wright in gold,

/ Massey Ferguson 1526 hard starting #9  
On my MF 1531 it says to turn the key to almost the start position for not more than ten seconds for the glow plugs, there is no glow plug indicator light. I hope you have not burned out the glow plugs by having them on too long.

/ Massey Ferguson 1526 hard starting #10  
You wont burn them out unless you hold them for a very long time. Probably way longer than your hand would care to hold the switch.

Are you activating the glow plugs correctly? There is a detent position that needs to be held with the key. Many people think the clicking when you first turn the key is the glow plugs but it isn't. That's the fuel pump. At 32-42 degrees I would say about a 20-25 seconds warming to give an easy start.