Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox #1  

davey4000

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4320, NH TC29D
I'm trying to remove the PTO drive shaft from my PHD gearbox. I have removed the shear bolt, but the yoke will not slide off. It will rotate on the shaft however. I suspect I need to remove a small
roll pin visible in the attached photos, but do not know how to get it out. Any advice?

image-1419370043.jpg

image-4253774061.jpg

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox #2  
Drive it out with the appropriate sized flat punch.

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox
Can't drive it out. It doesn't go all the way through. I assume the shaft has a groove in it that the roll pin slides into.

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox #4  
E or circle clip on the face of the input shaft? My brushog uses that to keep the shaft from flying off when shearpin goes.

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox #5  
Can't drive it out. It doesn't go all the way through. I assume the shaft has a groove in it that the roll pin slides into.

If it doesn't go all the way through then it's not a roll pin. No one use a drivable pin that only goes partway through a removable part. Look for a diffeent retention method. Mine has a roll pin that is tangent to the groove in the gearbox input shaft and allows the dive shaft to slip when the shear pin breaks but does not allow the pto shaft to come off the gearbox input shaft.

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox #6  
If that hole is perpendicular to the center of the driveshaft, then my best guess is that it is threaded and that is a hex drive set screw. Soak it with rust solvent and first try a hex wrench. If that doesn't work, try an easy out in a slow drill press (in reverse, of course). Last resort is to drill it out and retap with a larger set screw. My PHD had a diagonal roll pin which caught the groove on the input shaft, and had 2 holes to allow it to be driven out. The fact that the face of that hole is machined, makes me think it is tapped.

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox #7  
X2 on hex head

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox
It was a hex head set screw and I got it off. Thanks for the heads up. It sure looked like a round hole in the middle instead of hex, but when I inserted the hex tool it was obvious. I'm glad I checked here instead of beating the heck out of it.

/ Removal of PTO Shaft From PHD Gearbox #9  
Anti-seize the crap out of that before reinstall. That would be a huge PITA if rusted in place!