Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040, ZD326, JD Gator 855D

Default Which sickle mowers best for mowing pond banks

Well....just made a deal on a used kubota M7040....NOW attachments. And I'm not going to get in a hurry on this do to $$$$ and winter coming on.

Over this winter I'll be searching for a buy on the right sickle mower. I've got multiple pond banks I want to mow....one of many reasons I bought the tractor.

I used a horse drawn sickle mower pulled by an 8N in my teenage years, (and that was a lifetime ago) other than that I'm dumb on these, so need advice on what to buy/not buy. I understand you need one belt driven, so you can drop the mower down the slope. A New Holland 451 has popped out to me real quick as a popular one It also appears a John Deere 350 would work to.

So...what other models and which ones are the better ones?

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Case Farmall IH 60

Default Re: Which sickle mowers best for mowing pond banks

I have the JD350 9 ft (purchased because it was cheaper than others) and it would work for your banks. For a price point I paid $950.00 and then had to chisel all the old rivets off, add all new blades, and replace 1/3 of the teeth.

Also, if you go the JD350 route make sure you buy one that includes the triangle plate! Very important that for tensioning. I also could not pop out the pivot so I ended up buying a new one. JD was very helpful in locating a PDF of their owners manual and providing to me. It is one piece of equipment we plan on keeping.