Ford Industrial Starter kicking out too easily

/ Ford Industrial Starter kicking out too easily #1  

VTPSD

Bronze Member
Tractor
ford 420 industrial with custom turbo setup, diesel converted wheel horse
My 75 ford 420 diesel is having a bit of an issue with the starter. When its cold out (below 35 or so) the starter kicks out too early. The tractor starts easily, but obviously needs to crank a bit more when it gets cold, and this is when the issue arises. As soon as it starts firing the starter kicks out and I have to let off the key and let the starter spin all the way down, then crank again. It takes maybe 3 or 4 times to get it started when it is cold. If the starter would stay engaged through the first couple fires I think it would crank right up like it should. Is there a spring in the bendix that can get worn, or something else I should look at? Im sure a whole new starter isn't cheap.

/ Ford Industrial Starter kicking out too easily #2  
Can be several things.

Weak battery spinning too slow when cold. The bendix teeth can be worn or the bendix can be gooped up. Cold makes the goop harder and there is weak engagement. The flywheel teeth can also be rounded.

I would put a meter on the battery to check it. You could also just trickle charge it and boost (50a) while cranking it. If that fixes it, it may be the batt. Also look for 14.2-14.6v while warm running.

Then pull the starter and inspect / clean / lube the bendix. I had one act like yours and its been good for 6 years after clean / lube.

/ Ford Industrial Starter kicking out too easily
Thank you for the reply, the battery should be good, it is only a few months old, I get 14.4 volts charging when running and the tractor cranks over nicely. I will try boosting it and see if it improves the problem. I suspect worn teeth or gooped up bendix. I will pull it and clean/lube and see where that gets me. Thank you for the input.

/ Ford Industrial Starter kicking out too easily #4  
watch out on the lube.. too much / wrong type causes drag!

Any sort of thermal starting aid?

yep, it has a intake heater that i got working, the tractor starts easily for a diesel in the cold. It just will only crank for 3 seconds or so before kicking out after the first time the engine fires. In the warm, this isnt a problem since the engine takes off the first time it fires. My past experience tells me the engine and starting aids are working just as they should, the starter just kicks out a bit too soon.

what kind of lube is recommended?

/ Ford Industrial Starter kicking out too easily #7  
i like spray silicone... dry lube that gathers no dust.

low drag. especially when cold.. etc.

good, i've got a can of that. Good stuff for a lot of things like this.

/ Ford Industrial Starter kicking out too easily #9  

Yep. The dry silicone lube is what I was thinking of, but neglected to actually write it!

/ Ford Industrial Starter kicking out too easily #10  

Yep. The dry silicone lube is what I was thinking of, but neglected to actually write it!