An easier way to refuel your tractor

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor #1  

Dano33

Tractor
4720 (2013) / 4310 (2002)
Hello All-

A couple weeks ago, I asked what people were using to refuel their tractors. I originally posted my question in the JD Owning / Operating forum, but was soon pointed to other forums where the same question had been asked several times. After combing through numerous threads, it was apparent I was not happy about the fuel filler location on my new tractor.

After reading numerous posts, it was pretty set on getting a 25-30 gallon gas caddy, however I did not like the fact that a 30 gallon caddy would weigh a lot and would be tough to load and unload from my truck. What I did like about the caddy was the fact that it had a manual pump which meant that I would not have to deal with keeping a battery around to power the pump.

While scouring the net, I came across the Flo Fast product on Global Industrial site and thought that this could be what I was looking for. When I went to Flo-Fasts website, I saw that they actually had a bunch of options to choose from, including some options that would work with my existing 5 gallon jugs. I ended up calling the company and speaking with the owner for a bit and although they were more focused on the boating and racing industry, I was told that their pumps and containers work just fine for diesel tractors.

Since my new Deere 4720 holds 15 gallons, I ended up ordering their 15 gallon tank, heavy duty cart, and professional pump. The parts arrived this past week, and I finally had a chance to try it out. The fuel jug is pretty thick, yet it is easy enough to toss into the back of my truck and fill it up. Since we are only talking about 15 gallons, I like the fact that I don't have to worry about fuel sitting around for too long, especially during winter. The cart is solid, and has no issues moving the filled container around. As an added bonus, it folds up nicely and does not take up a lot of space. The pump moves up to 8 gallons a minute, so you have to be careful or else it is somewhat easy to overfill your gas tank (ask me how I know this). While using the system, there were no leaks which kept everything nice and clean.

About the only downside I can see to this system is that the fuel jug weighs about 100 pounds when full, so it is pretty dang heavy to lift out of my truck bed. If I were to do this again, I would probably consider going with the two 7.5 gallons cans as those will be much more manageable. Depending on which package you choose, the options can get pricey, however the quality is there, so you do get what you pay for. Overall, I really cant complain, and am very happy with this purchase (and so is my back and shoulders).

Well, there you have it. I have gotten so much good information from this forum ever since I purchased my first Deere 4310 back in 2002, so I hope that this review / information will help some of you out there who are also looking for a smarter / better way to get work done using our tractors.

Dano-

Attachments

• FloFast Front.jpg
    FloFast Front.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 2,857
  • FloFast Back.jpg
    FloFast Back.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 1,621
  • FloFast Pump.jpg
    FloFast Pump.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 1,607
  • FloFast InUse.jpg
    FloFast InUse.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 3,119
   / An easier way to refuel your tractor #2  
About the only downside I can see to this system is that the fuel jug weighs about 100 pounds when full, so it is pretty dang heavy to lift out of my truck bed.

Your loader is also an unloader. :)

Bruce

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor
D'Oh!

Ok, I feel like an idiot for not thinking about that as an option. Truth be told, I was kind of in a rush to try this thing out so I got it set up first, and then got the tractor out of the barn and refueled it. Next time around, the loader shall also be the unloader.

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor #4  
Thanks for posting this...

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor #5  
It's an interesting system... But I always look for the lowest cost option. I use 5 gal cans sitting on a shelf in my tractor shed, and a shaker siphon hose. It can fill my tractor tank in a few minutes and, if I'm careful, doesn't spill a drop. And it cost about ten bucks. I do have to lift the cans to the shelf, but that's manageable. When I get old, I'll use a small block and tackle from the roof to lift them.

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor #6  
Thanks Dano for the posting. Question for you, what tooth bar is on your bucket? Brand, etc. kind of like it.

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor
Hey Gary-

I got that tooth bar several years ago when I had my 4310. I can't remember what brand it was, but I do remember buying it at my Deere dealership. When I got my 4720, I opted to keep the bar since it was still in good shape so I sand blasted it and painted it. The bar has proven to be very solid and I have only had to replace one tooth over the years. I would recommend that whatever you get has replaceable teeth as this one does.

Dano

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor #8  
Looks good, but think when full it's more like 120 #, too heavy for me, but the loader sitting on the open bed of your pickup is just a roll off for your machine. I use my bucket just to move the 5 gallon containers I pick up in the pickup for replenishing the fuel in my generator. For the tractor, I reload a 5 gallon container with a little electric pump on the generator 60 gallon tank.

The Flo Fast machine might be nice for getting the fuel to replenish my generator tank once a year or so (it used 2.5 gallons last year).

Ralph

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor #9  
Thanks for posting. I think I've read most of the "how to handle refueling" on the site and this looks like a good solution for me. I do use a Mr. Funnel fuel filter and was curious if the flow rate of the pump would overwhelm the filter. At least according to the ad Amazon.com: Mr. Funnel AF8CB Fuel Filter: Patio, Lawn & Garden , it should work just fine, as long as I don't pump at full speed.

/ An easier way to refuel your tractor #10  
Hello All-

A couple weeks ago, I asked what people were using to refuel their tractors. I originally posted my question in the JD Owning / Operating forum, but was soon pointed to other forums where the same question had been asked several times. After combing through numerous threads, it was apparent I was not happy about the fuel filler location on my new tractor.

After reading numerous posts, it was pretty set on getting a 25-30 gallon gas caddy, however I did not like the fact that a 30 gallon caddy would weigh a lot and would be tough to load and unload from my truck. What I did like about the caddy was the fact that it had a manual pump which meant that I would not have to deal with keeping a battery around to power the pump.

While scouring the net, I came across the Flo Fast product on Global Industrial site and thought that this could be what I was looking for. When I went to Flo-Fasts website, I saw that they actually had a bunch of options to choose from, including some options that would work with my existing 5 gallon jugs. I ended up calling the company and speaking with the owner for a bit and although they were more focused on the boating and racing industry, I was told that their pumps and containers work just fine for diesel tractors.

Since my new Deere 4720 holds 15 gallons, I ended up ordering their 15 gallon tank, heavy duty cart, and professional pump. The parts arrived this past week, and I finally had a chance to try it out. The fuel jug is pretty thick, yet it is easy enough to toss into the back of my truck and fill it up. Since we are only talking about 15 gallons, I like the fact that I don't have to worry about fuel sitting around for too long, especially during winter. The cart is solid, and has no issues moving the filled container around. As an added bonus, it folds up nicely and does not take up a lot of space. The pump moves up to 8 gallons a minute, so you have to be careful or else it is somewhat easy to overfill your gas tank (ask me how I know this). While using the system, there were no leaks which kept everything nice and clean.

About the only downside I can see to this system is that the fuel jug weighs about 100 pounds when full, so it is pretty dang heavy to lift out of my truck bed. If I were to do this again, I would probably consider going with the two 7.5 gallons cans as those will be much more manageable. Depending on which package you choose, the options can get pricey, however the quality is there, so you do get what you pay for. Overall, I really cant complain, and am very happy with this purchase (and so is my back and shoulders).

Well, there you have it. I have gotten so much good information from this forum ever since I purchased my first Deere 4310 back in 2002, so I hope that this review / information will help some of you out there who are also looking for a smarter / better way to get work done using our tractors.

Dano-
While it looks well made, it does look a bit inconvenient to fill. Don't you have to remove the pump each time to fill it up? How much did that system cost? Just curious about the cost for others who may consider it as I am quite happy with my 105 gallon steel tank on casters with a 15 GPM DC Filrite pump, 20foot hose with auto-shut off nozzle. I just put a battery on top of the tank with a trickle charger permanently attached. I don't worry about stale fuel in the diesel, unlike gas it last quite a while. I fill up about every 6 month to a year depending on my activity projects. I do keep the tank in an enclosed area so temperature changes are minimal and it has a 10 micron canister filter on it. I also prepared a 275 gallon tote tank next to it when I heard that my distributor was going to start charging $50 deliver charge for less than 250 gallons. So far he hasn't charged me, but me and brother in law fill our identical tanks and equipment at the same time so we usually get about 200 gallons.