Disposing of used hydraulic oil

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #21  
It's not just Oregon, here in Klickitat County,WA, the transfer station and landfills no longer take oil, because someone dumped some PCB's in the tank. Cost them upwards of $150,000. This just happened within the last 6 months. From what I understand, the problem is not limited to just this area either, apparently it is happening over a lot of the Pacific NW. I learned about it from the owner of the local oil change shop. He said it was likely going to affect his prices as he might have to start paying for disposal.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #22  
My town land fill, 15 miles from my house, will take all the waste oil I have for them. There is a small garage about 2 miles from my house, I found out they have a used oil burner to heat their shop. I now take my waste oil to the small garage and now they balance my tires and fix flats for free. :)

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #23  
Heat with oil? Just dump it in the tank. Works fine and saves money too.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #24  
I wish I had a waste oil heater for my garage, but they are really expensive (at least to me) for a homeowners garage an finding one used is like unheard of. :confused:

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil
I wish I had a waste oil heater for my garage, but they are really expensive (at least to me) for a homeowners garage an finding one used is like unheard of. :confused:

After some of the post here...I checked that out to. And it's out of my league, and need.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #26  
In the old days it worked good for keeping the dust down on the roads.....a no no now?

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #27  
I buy my Deere oils in plastic jugs about 2 1/2 gallon size then use the old hydraulic oil for bar and chain oil. Usually I pass a few jugs to the local tree cutters too.

I was wondering how hydraulic oil would work as chainsaw bar lube. I was worried that it wouldn't be sticky enough, but your experience has been good??

Bob

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #29  
That sounds just like some idiot yo-yo...

I took 5 gallons of used motor oil and 2 gallons of used cooking oil in the other day. I had it totally emptied into their tank and this counter guy comes back in a panic - "We can't take cooking oil!!!"

hmmm - You mean they can take used motor oil with all kinds of metal particles, sludge, dirt, you-name-it, and they can't take nice clean cooking oil? I told them - no problem, it burns well on my burn pile.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #30  
I was wondering how hydraulic oil would work as chainsaw bar lube. I was worried that it wouldn't be sticky enough, but your experience has been good??

Bob

I put in a can of Motor Honey or STP in a gallon of used motor oil or hydraulic oil. It really helps keep the oil on the bar because it makes the oil cling.

Last edited: