Disposing of used hydraulic oil

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #51  
I remember my grandfather in Michigan put any used oil on the dirt road in front of his house. I imagine the EPA would be right behind anyone doing it now. (Of course, at the time my grandmother cooked on a woodstove and they had an outhouse.)

Yeah, using oil for dust control is frowned upon after a little thing called Times Beach, Missouri. The oil they were using on the roads was contaminated with dioxin. Times Beach, Missouri - Wikipedia

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #53  
I use my old tranny & motor oil mixed with some diesel to waterproof wooden trailer floors. Use a old thick nap roller to apply when it is real dry. The wood soaks it up good and makes treated lumber not bow and curl from drying out.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #54  
Friend of mine has a small DIY furnace fired by used oil for melting metals for casting. It is made from 55 gal steel barel lined with a refractory. He starts that with propane and them heats that up with oil. It melts even steel.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #55  
Our local dump, that also allows you to split up your trash into paper, plastic, glass, etc to save money if you wish, also heats their building with oil. So I donate all mine to them to help keep their winter heating bill down. I usually have 10 or so 5 gallon buckets full of used oils a year. So even if you don't burn oil for heat, maybe someone nearby does and would love to have it.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #56  
Oil change places and most auto parts store will also take used oils.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #57  
Find someone who has a waste oil burner, and they will probably take all you can give them. Maybe even pick it up.

Put a note on Craig's list perhaps?

I have an automotive machine shop a few miles away, that takes mine.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #58  
There is an owner of towing service in nearby town that will take any amount as long as it is in buckets or containers.

/ Disposing of used hydraulic oil #59  
You'll find most excavating contractors heat their shops with an oil burner because they need to be high ceilings and all their big backhoes and cats consume lots of oil per oil change. But it's never enough and they are already straining their own so it's no big deal for them to strain other refuse oils too.

By the way, I'd be very cautious about what you put in a normal home heating oil tank or you will quickly plug up the tank. filter