Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #11  
was a return..

Have you checked the filters are staying full, have seen a couple times where a slight leak occured at the filter gasket and also resulted in NO JOY

Is this the CAV set up or the Simms, have had more problems bleeding the CAV setup The Simms has a priming lever on the injector pump, The last Cav I worked on was primed by a lever on the seperate fuel pump -but it was a Leyland tractor

If it is the Simms (in line pump) you could try the cold start enrichment basically open the throttle up wide open push the pivot pin in that is connected to the throttle -It SHOULD click and stay in , reduce the throttle setting to 1/2 and try to start it... If it does start the pin should immediately pop back out reduce the throttle... good luck and hope this helps

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow
Midnite,

I did check for fuel flow by removing the line out to the injector pump. Good flow there.

Redman,

I have spun with one and with all three injector lines loose. No joy. If the rains stop, I'll check the return line back to the tank; I didn't know it could cause a problem. I replace it when I repaired a leak more than a year ago, and don't think I'll have a problem, but I need to rule it out. I'll make one more pull with the injector lines cracked. Thanks for mentioning the drive. I have the FSM, and will study that a little and check.

I appreciate the help.

Michael

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #13  
Micheal
Several yrs ago I owned a 3000 with a non working fuel gauge that my employee got his "kicks" by running it out of fuel. I could bleed that thing forever and it wouldn't start. Pull it 5-10 ft and it would fire up. I'd advise to definitely try pull starting again. It will prove to be a "good bonding time" between your wife & you.:confused3:

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #14  
double check the filter for extra plastic wrap.. seen t hat before..

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #15  
Micheal
Several yrs ago I owned a 3000 with a non working fuel gauge that my employee got his "kicks" by running it out of fuel. I could bleed that thing forever and it wouldn't start. Pull it 5-10 ft and it would fire up. I'd advise to definitely try pull starting again. It will prove to be a "good bonding time" between your wife & you.:confused3:

I agree, try pulling it again. I would also loosen the fuel lines at the injectors a little. Rotor pumps are just harder to bleed than inline pumps. I have also learned that the more fuel you have in the tank the easier it is to bleed. More fuel in the tank means more pressure pushing the fuel through the pump. I've also had the one's that refuse to pick up the fuel. If pulling is not an option (and I have the time), I will filled the tank and let them stay overnight (or a few hours). Most of the time it will pick the fuel right up when you return.

I have also blown compressed air into the tank and forced the fuel through the pump, but the results are mixed. It's works good for filling the filter, but sometimes it helps prime the pump and other time it doesn't seem to help. Just be careful and use a rag around the fill neck or it will blow back on you. Been there and done that.

Jim,

I'm not entirely sure that I didn't run the tank empty, though it showed about 1/4. I did add five gallons of fresh diesel, and I did check with a stick, out of curiosity. It seemed to be close to half full after the added fuel. Regarding bonding - lots if it in nearly 38 years. She has helped me remove and drag fenders and doors out of the junkyards - old MOPAR fan. She can bleed brakes as well as anybody you'll find. We'll pull the tractor around some more with the injector lines loose.

Soundguy,

I did have to remove the filter to reposition the upper gasket, and was sure then that I'd have it running. Fuel flows very well through the filter, but not past the pump, so far.

Agriman,

I will be pulling again, with the injector lines loose this time. It is good to know that others have had some of this difficulty. I'm pretty new to tractors (though I did plow with a mule as a kid), and new to diesels. I'd be ready to give up it if didn't do so well otherwise.

Thank you all for the help.

Michael

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #17  
check the cutoff again....

All,

Had a good afternoon to work. Double checked everything, had let the injector lines sit loosened all night, so went for a ride, hanging on for dear life as my wife looked for ruts and ditches to cross - again for about a half mile. Tractor sounded almost like it was running, but no smoke, and dead silence as soon as I hit the clutch. Never a drop of diesel. Either the pump has failed, or the drive has failed. Will be on the trailer shortly. Still debating between the local Ford tractor guru and the new scrap metal place in town.

If it runs again, I'll pass that along.

I do appreciate the suggestions.

Michael

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #19  
I'd give you scrap value if you were closer :)

Seriously though, it should be that hard or expensive to fix..

Midnite,

Don't tempt me.... There is an excellent tractor man nearby; not cheap but with a great reputation over a few decades. Will see if it's better to replace or rebuild, and let him do it start to finish. Too expensive to have him correct my mistakes later.

For now, I'll have to concentrate on an older 2000 gas burner.

Thanks again.

Michael