Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #21  
Nothing wrong with gassers.. Have one myself.. MUCH easier in the winter :)

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #22  
i like gassers if they are pre 65.. :)

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow
For anyone still interested, I promised a followup when I had an answer. As discussed, the fuel pump had failed. There is a really good tractor mechanic in the area, and he strongly recommended that I rebuild the pump rather than replace with a foreign replacement pump. The rebuild and his work significantly increased what I have in the tractor, but he has it back together and says it runs great.

He found no evidence of something I'd done, but did recommend Lucas or a similar high quality diesel additive. That will be cheap insurance. I should have it back in a few days, once some front end work is finished.

Thanks to those who helped. I am glad to have access to the knowledge present on this site.

Michael

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #24  
For anyone still interested, I promised a followup when I had an answer. As discussed, the fuel pump had failed. There is a really good tractor mechanic in the area, and he strongly recommended that I rebuild the pump rather than replace with a foreign replacement pump. The rebuild and his work significantly increased what I have in the tractor, but he has it back together and says it runs great.

He found no evidence of something I'd done, but did recommend Lucas or a similar high quality diesel additive. That will be cheap insurance. I should have it back in a few days, once some front end work is finished.

Thanks to those who helped. I am glad to have access to the knowledge present on this site.

Michael

Glad you got it running again. What exactly was wrong with the pump?

Jerry,

I asked again today, and was told he didn't quiz the shop that did it, but they did say it was in generally bad shape, with no catastrophic failure. He told me that they are 50-100% higher than the few other places that I could get to rebuild it, but had the experience and equipment to get it right, and have never failed him.

I may have been sold a bill of goods, but don't think so. He has been up front with everything, and has a great reputation in the area. He is high, but thorough and his work is good.

He suggested that I have the injectors cleaned. The same shop he uses to rebuild pumps did them, and said that two of the three were not salvageable; I had them rebuild all three.

I still don't have the tractor - he told me cost of frontend worn would get higher fast in I let the spindles ruin the pieces they ride in. That should be done by the end of the week, and I should be close to broke. I'll know better about maintenance and should some more years without more work on it otherwise. Close to time to sell the 2000 and rely on this one.

I appreciate your comments and interest.

Michael

Sorry for the typos - I shouldn't rely on spell check.

Michael

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #27  
Sorry for the typos - I shouldn't rely on spell check.

Michael

don't sweat it. MOST of us aren't infantile eough to hassle you over typo's. We knew what you were saying. ( Yes.. some here ARE infantile enough to gripe about it.. usually means they have nothing factual to add to the conversation ... just my observation.. :) )