Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #1  

Michael Ma

Tractor
Ford 4000 diesel, Ford 2000 gas
This is an old Ford, around 68 I think. 201 Diesel. Ran very well when I bought it, and has been nearly trouble free. Had a leaking O ring on top of the injector pump, and fixed it successfully - that was last summer.

No leaks, and no problems until about six weeks ago. I let it sit while working on other problems, and when I tried to start it last week, no joy. No fuel to the injectors.

I added fuel in case it was low, but it was not. I changed the fuel filter, after blowing out the line from the tank. It had good flow before and after.

I bled the filter housing and removed the bleeder screw on the side of the pump. Good flow without air at both.

I have no fuel at the injectors.

I tried ether, and right now would happily risk blowing the tractor up.

This afternoon my wife hooked the truck to it, and we tried pulling it off. Maybe a half mile or more. No joy. No smoke. Still no fuel at the injectors. I did have enough compression to hold the truck back in lower than 7th gear.

This is on a tractor that has been consistently easy to start hot or cold, and has run exceptionally well, and was running well when it was shut off about a month back.

Any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated.

Michael, not a fan of diesel

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #2  
Me thinks you've had a failure in the pump.

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow
Jerry,

Thanks for the quick response. It is not what I want to hear, but at this point, I can't see another answer either. I'll post here when I get this resolved.

Michael

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #4  
Have you checked to be sure fuel cutoff is in the "on position" on inj pump IE cable not restricting lever movement? Loosen bolt(parts key #57) as see if fuel will come out of fitting or if engine will run?

Attachments

• 1123620.png
    1123620.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 18,856
Jim,

Thank you for the suggestions. I did check the fuel shutoff to be sure it was properly connected and moving freely. Cutoff under tank is on, and fuel shutoff is in the position to allow flow. It acts exactly as if the fuel shutoff is stopping flow.

Thanks for providing the diagram. I'll check the return line to be sure it is not blocked; I had not considered that.

I did realize last night that pulling the tractor off might hot help without the lines cracked at the injectors. I'll try it again that way before pricing a pump. A slow decline would make it easier to accept pump failure, but this one went from running great to dead in the water.

I'll post what I find out. Again, thank you.

Michael

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #6  
So what was the other problems? Anything you might have done accidentally to cause this?

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #7  
Jim,

Thank you for the suggestions. I did check the fuel shutoff to be sure it was properly connected and moving freely. Cutoff under tank is on, and fuel shutoff is in the position to allow flow. It acts exactly as if the fuel shutoff is stopping flow.

Thanks for providing the diagram. I'll check the return line to be sure it is not blocked; I had not considered that.

I did realize last night that pulling the tractor off might hot help without the lines cracked at the injectors. I'll try it again that way before pricing a pump. A slow decline would make it easier to accept pump failure, but this one went from running great to dead in the water.

I'll post what I find out. Again, thank you.

Michael

I will describe a problem my neighbor had with his ford diesel . had some water in fuel filter so changed filter and the engine would not run. after several hours asked me to come by and help with the problem

took filter off and fuel would flow from tank. put cover on filter and no fuel would flow to diesel pump. carefully look at where the fuel exits the filter to injector pump and if there is a double seal "O ring" it will block the fuel line. My not be your problem so just a suggestion of possibilitys.
ken

Ken,

I think I know exactly what you describe - I did it Tuesday when I replaced the fuel filter. No flow, so I checked and saw why, and corrected that. But I am glad for any thought or suggestions; I'm in above my head.

Midnite,

Tractor has shown no problems for more than a year, and the only problem since I bought is was a leaking O ring on top of the pump. I fixed that more than a year ago, and then managed to bleed it and start it with little trouble. The tractor seems strong to me, and would start on any day above freezing, with ony a couple of seconds on the starter. I was using it to mix cement about six weeks ago, and had no trouble. After I got the mixer off, I parked it. Needed to get it ready to dig holes for fruit trees that should arrive in about a week, and it would not light off. Will spin fine, but no fuel to the injectors. I did add five gallons of fresh diesel, just in case.

Will be glad for any thoughts. I'm at a dead end.

Thanks to both of you.

Michael

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #9  
Pull the filter and check it again.. could be clogged up. I once received a 'new' filter that had algae growing it it.. turned out it was a return..

/ Need help with Ford 4000 diesel - no fuel flow #10  
Have you cracked the injectors when you where trying to get fuel through?
If you have then is the injector pump working? A sudden stop may indicate drive -to -injector pump failure as opossed to an actual injector pump failure .
If no joy then a proffessional DIESEL mechanic would be a cost efective option.