Overheating wiring harness

/ Overheating wiring harness #21  
If you do go to the "hand construct" method for your harness and can't get big enough wire loom or if the wires just go in too many directions to make the wire loom practical you may want to consider some cable lacing cord. The product that I linked is wax coated which makes it somewhat sticky to itself and will hold in place as you wrap it around the wire harness.
There are different methods of cable lacing. This page shows a few: Cable lacing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you say some more detail about what uses this lacing would be used for and how is it advantageous compared to split wire loom and such?

Thanks,

CM

/ Overheating wiring harness #22  
We used it in the Navy as it actually ties the cabling together and not left loose as in wire loom, and is MUCH easier on the insulation than zip ties. Done correctly, its a continuous piece with a 'wrap' every few inches. Its really good for high vibration areas.

/ Overheating wiring harness #23  
Is it generally applied by hand? Wound from one end to another along a cable run? I could see using it on my boat's bilge area where everything is a MESS from prior butchers having run wires all over the place.

/ Overheating wiring harness #24  
   / Overheating wiring harness #26  

Thanks a LOT! I love finding out about cool 'tools' to make my wiring as bulletproof as possible. to date I've used the short velcro strips on a roll to bundle bilge wiring while I sort out the various thru-hulls etc. I'm now at the point of soldering/shrinkwrap, and bundling so this info is just on time for my next hang upsidedown in the bilge wiring foray!:shocked:

/ Overheating wiring harness #27  
I see Midniteoyl beat me to a lot of the answers. It also is advantageous when you have wires that have to leave the bundle in close proximity to each other, but are going in different directions. Wire loom just can't twist enough to be practical and still look somewhat decent.
You can also do it by hand by taking a very long piece (knowing how much is somewhat guesswork.) and
taking the cord in the middle
wrap a couple of turns around the wire bundle so it wraps around itself
then working in the direction you want to lace it wrap the ends around in opposite directions so that they cross over each other about every three inches.
End it by wrapping the ends around on each other and granny knotting it.

/ Overheating wiring harness #28  
Thanks a LOT! I love finding out about cool 'tools' to make my wiring as bulletproof as possible. to date I've used the short velcro strips on a roll to bundle bilge wiring while I sort out the various thru-hulls etc. I'm now at the point of soldering/shrinkwrap, and bundling so this info is just on time for my next hang upsidedown in the bilge wiring foray!:shocked:

Good luck with that :)